Transportation from Zurich train station to hotel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 21:42:06 #820162

I am traveling on the Glacier Express from Zermatt only up to Chur. I am pressed for time so I have to forego traveling the Glacier Express from Zermatt all the way to St. Moritz. I have a Swiss half fare ticket that will take me from Chur to Zurich. My hotel in Zurich is in Old Town, City Center. Is there any transportation I can avail of from the train station in Zurich to Old Town ? I tried Viator but they only have from Zurich Airport to hotels.

CWash

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 February 2019 at 21:48:49 #905239

Enter your hotel name in the SBB timetable search and it should show you the best route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 21:58:15 #905240

Hi CWash,

Here is the link to the timetable Rockoyster is talking about: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The Hauptbahnhof in Zurich is very close to the old town so it should be an easy tram ride.

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 March 2019 at 1:36:00 #905241

Hi Cwash –

First, Rockoyster is correct, as usual..

Second,It would be helpful if you named your hotel. Then , we could give you specific directions, instead of the generalities that you have gotten so far. We might even know something about the neigborhood, which is not clearly defined by your description.

Your choice.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 7:06:14 #905242

Hello Slowpoke and Rockoyster,

I will be staying at the Walhalla Guest House in Zurich Old Town City Center on Limmatstr 5, 1 Zurich Old Town.

Thank you.

CWash

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 March 2019 at 9:30:22 #905243

Hi Cwash –

<<“I will be staying at the Walhalla Guest House in Zurich Old Town City Center on Limmatstr 5, 1 Zurich Old Town.”>>

That is helpful . I entered the name of the hotel in Mapsearch.CH and got the following result:

map.search.ch/?q=Walhalla+Hotel,+Z%C3 %BCrich,+Limmatstr.+5& near=662000,190000

That map shows that your hotel is about 60 meters walk along Radgasse from a side entrance of the main station.

You will need your platform number. It will be on a ticket, if you have one for a specific train. It is on large overhead signs at the railhead. It will be on video terminals throughout the station. Or, it will be available on the website of the SBB as well as the smartphone app. I usually come in to the station at the main platforms and the main building where the rail services ( tickets, information, lockers, etc.) are, so I use the large overhead signs at the head of tracks 3-18. They show two set s of trains….long distance ( Fernverkehr) and S-Bahnen ( suburban/commuter trains). So if you use those signs, look carefully at a both displays.

The map of the station on the SBB website adds some valuable information. There is an underground passage that crosses the station below the tracks, near the end of the roof covering the innermost part of the station:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/shopville-zuerich-main-station.html

The short walk along Radgasse from your hotel brings you to the entrance to that passage. It connects directly with the tracks 3 to 18 on the main platform. So, you do not have to walk all the way to the railhead, then back out on your platform if your train is in the main part of the station at the street level ( tracks 3-18) .

Zurich main station is very complex. Trains come and go on tracks at lower levels of the station as well as the street level platforms. You can also reach those higher numbered trains, underground, by going in the side entrance at Radgasse, down to the passage, along it, then at some point turning to the left and following signs to tracks with numbers like 21 to 23, 31 and 32, and 41 to 44.

If you go to the SBB website map that I linked above, you can look to the right on the page and find some maps to download. Download the Station Plan A4 *.PDF.

That map will help you visualize the complex layout.

There are extensive signs overhead throughout the station that lead you to the various tracks.

Walhalla Guesthouse –

Friends who live outside Luzern have stayed at the Walkalla in years past when they had to catch an early train. They chose it because it is so close to the station. They reported a clean, comfortable room, and no restaurant. Their room cost included a coupon (ein Gutschein) for use at a nearby Starbucks, so they used that for a quick breakfast before catching an early train.

You have made a good choice.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 9:32:30 #905244

Hi CWash,

If you exit on the correct side of the station you will have a 30 second walk to your hotel (track 18 is about 50 meters from your hotel (it is besides a Starbucks). What track does your train come in on? The timetable will tell you.

Note the Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard) won’t take you to Zurich as you note. It will get you 50% off the ticket cost (as it would for every train trip you take in Switzerland including the Glacier Express).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2019 at 22:05:57 #905245

Thank you so very much to everyone. You have provided me with the best tips/info ever. I fly out tomorrow and I am super excited. Traveling solo ……. and loving it.

• The thread ‘Transportation from Zurich train station to hotel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.