Hello. This is my second post on this forum and the information here is truly invaluable - thank you to everyone that manages the site and provides input!
My family (husband and I and two boys, 12 and 17) are traveling to Switzerland from NYC on August 10th. Our itinerary is as follows (and we welcome suggestions and changes):
10 Thurs - fly to Zurich
11 Fri - Swiss Science Centre Technorama in Oberwinterhur (Overnight in Zurich)
12 Sat- Walk around old town, lake zurich boat trip? (Overnight Zurich)
13 Sun- leave for Lucerne in am and Explore the city Lucerne (historic district, the Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument). Possibly visit the Swiss Transportation Museum. (Overnight Lucerne)
14 Mon- 'Golden Round Trip' Mt. Pilatus (Overnight Lucerne)
15 Tues - 'Majestic Round Trip' Rigi (Overnight Lucerne)
16 Wed - Leave for Wengen in am explore town and light hikes (Overnight Wengen)
17 Thurs - Canyoning in Interlaken or Jungfrau (Overnight Wengen)
18 Fri - Canyoning in Interlaken or Jungfrau (Overnight Wengen)
19 Sat - more actives in Wengen area and head to Zurich (Overnight Zurich)
20 Sun - fly home in am
My questions are as follows:
1) Swiss travel pass. We will need 9 days of travel (8/11-8/19). What is the best option for us? Should we consider an 8 day pass and pay for the first or last day separately? I believe my 12 year old travels free with the swiss family card and my 17 year old gets the youth discount.
2) Do I need to make any train reservations based on the activities that I mention above?
3) I had initially only planned of one day in Zurich, but it was recommended to me that we may be tired or experience delays from our trip from NY and therefore should stay for 2 days. Can you suggest activies for day 2 in Zurich for my active boys? Zurich Lake boat ride? Walk around old town? Any chocolate experiences? Recommended places for lunch/dinner for both days in Zurich?
4) I plan to pick up the travelers wifi. Anyone have experiences with how this works throughout Wengen/Alps areas?
5) Luggage for train travel - each person will have their own medium sized bag and backpack. Do you recommend duffle bags on wheels or are airport carry on bags with wheels sufficient?
Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! We just booked the trip and are so excited!!