Travel advice Zurich & Wengen in August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2017 at 15:25:13 #812790

Hello. This is my second post on this forum and the information here is truly invaluable – thank you to everyone that manages the site and provides input!

My family (husband and I and two boys, 12 and 17) are traveling to Switzerland from NYC on August 10th. Our itinerary is as follows (and we welcome suggestions and changes):

10 Thurs – fly to Zurich

11 Fri – Swiss Science Centre Technorama in Oberwinterhur (Overnight in Zurich)

12 Sat- Walk around old town, lake zurich boat trip? (Overnight Zurich)

13 Sun- leave for Lucerne in am and Explore the city Lucerne (historic district, the Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument). Possibly visit the Swiss Transportation Museum. (Overnight Lucerne)

14 Mon- ‘Golden Round Trip’ Mt. Pilatus (Overnight Lucerne)

15 Tues – ‘Majestic Round Trip’ Rigi (Overnight Lucerne)

16 Wed – Leave for Wengen in am explore town and light hikes (Overnight Wengen)

17 Thurs – Canyoning in Interlaken or Jungfrau (Overnight Wengen)

18 Fri – Canyoning in Interlaken or Jungfrau (Overnight Wengen)

19 Sat – more actives in Wengen area and head to Zurich (Overnight Zurich)

20 Sun – fly home in am

My questions are as follows:

1) Swiss travel pass. We will need 9 days of travel (8/11-8/19). What is the best option for us? Should we consider an 8 day pass and pay for the first or last day separately? I believe my 12 year old travels free with the swiss family card and my 17 year old gets the youth discount.

2) Do I need to make any train reservations based on the activities that I mention above?

3) I had initially only planned of one day in Zurich, but it was recommended to me that we may be tired or experience delays from our trip from NY and therefore should stay for 2 days. Can you suggest activies for day 2 in Zurich for my active boys? Zurich Lake boat ride? Walk around old town? Any chocolate experiences? Recommended places for lunch/dinner for both days in Zurich?

4) I plan to pick up the travelers wifi. Anyone have experiences with how this works throughout Wengen/Alps areas?

5) Luggage for train travel – each person will have their own medium sized bag and backpack. Do you recommend duffle bags on wheels or are airport carry on bags with wheels sufficient?

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! We just booked the trip and are so excited!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2017 at 17:26:23 #867638

Hi Lori, glad to hear you are finding our website useful!

1. Buying the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is the best bet. The cost from Zurich to Oberwinterthur is less than 10chf so no need to use a STP that day. I would start it on August 12.
    2. No reservations needed on your routes no.
    3. I think there is more to see and do in Luzern that Zurich. I would just do 1 night in Zurich and move on to Luzern. For a list of activities in the Luzern area click here.
    4. I’ve not used Traveler’s WiFi in the Wengen area but my own cell service there was quite good most of the time.
    5. No, I don’t think there is a need for duffel bags overs standard carry-on suitcases (at least in my own experiences).

If you are looking for further information on what to do and where to stay in Wengen please click here as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2017 at 10:28:49 #867639

>> I plan to pick up the travelers wifi. Anyone have experiences with how this works throughout Wengen/Alps areas?

Yes, my son and I used it last Christmas in Wengen and the Jungfrau Region, and it was excellent.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2017 at 19:35:32 #867640

Thank you both Lucas and Alpenrose. I have purchased the Swiss travel pass and requested the family card. Based on Alpenrose’s positive experience, we also got the traveler’s wifi.

We are leaving in less than a week and I have a lot of work to do to pull together our trip. If anyone has any additional recommendations of things for us (family of 4 – 2 boys 12 & 17) to see and do while we are visiting, we would appreciate it. Zurich – Lucerne – Wengen. We are currently planning on going to Mt. Pilatus (Golden Round Trip), Rigi (Majestic round trip), Jungfrau and, if we can squeeze it in, Schilthorn.

* Any additional recommendations?

* Would it be worthwhile to spend some time in Bern?

* If we want to do some beginner canyoning, do we need to make reservations in advance? Is the best place to do this in Interlaken?

* I welcome any advice on restaurants as well

Thank you again!

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 August 2017 at 18:55:26 #867641

Hi Lori,

Good that you’ve ordered your passes! You’ve defnitely included some of the most beautiful highlights on your list so no, there’s not much I would add. You’ll find a full overview of our recommendations at our Zurich, Lucerne and Bernese Oberland pages.

I think your boys will love the train and cable car rides and the views. Just make sure you have some back-up plans in case weather is bad (city visits to Zurich, Lucerne with the Transport Museum, Bern or Thun, the Trümmelbach Falls, the Aare Gorge near Meiringen, the Beatus caves near Beatenberg, etcetera). I’d focus on the outdoors and only get to Bern or another city if weather isn’t cooperative.

Yes, you’ll find outdoor sports companies in Interlaken and you’ll have to make reservations for a canyoning tour. Please see Interlaken Tourism and check this Viator offer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 2:57:08 #867642

Thank you Annika! One more question – what are the best sites to use to check the weather?

– Lori

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 5:20:42 #867643

Hi Lori,

>> what are the best sites to use to check the weather?

Everything you need to know about the weather is on this page, including links (under More on other websites at the bottom right of the page) to reliable weather forecast sites.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Travel advice Zurich & Wengen in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.