Travel by rail in and out of Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Maverik
Maverik
1 post
Jun 23, 2019 - 7:54 PM

I am a US citizen and will be traveling by plane to Zurich and then meeting up with friends in Gridelnwald on 6 July. After we spend the next 6 days exploring, hiking and sightseeing the region by rail and gondola, I will travel to Lucca, Italy. I heard about an "in and out Swiss train pass" that I can purchase that will get me access to all the discounts in the Interlaken region that I will need as well as get me to Milano (from there I will need to purchase an inter-Italy ticket to Lucca). What is the proper name of this pass and how can I find the prices?

1960man
1960man
2178 posts
top member
Jun 23, 2019 - 10:29 PM in reply to Maverik

I don't know of such a pass.

Unless you use Eurail (a pan-European rail pass aimed at visitors from the US) you will need to get one of the range os Swiss Travel Passes:

- www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

When you leave Switzerland for Lucca, you can use the Swiss pass as far as the Swiss border (which will either be Chiasso or Domodossola depending which route you take out of CH

Steph
Steph
1918 posts
top member &
Jun 24, 2019 - 6:34 AM in reply to Maverik

Hello Maverik and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you're coming along.

To see details of the multi country pass Eurail Global pass that 1960man mentions, see below link. I also don't know of any other ticket covering Switzerland AND Italy.
- www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass

In addition to any of the national Swiss rail passes you would need an additional ticket for the Italian part of the journey:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jun 24, 2019 - 6:34 AM by Steph

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019