Traveling from Bergamo / Tirano to Chur by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 1:30:15 #814041

I am spending 2 days in Bergamo then wanted to spend 1/2 days in Como or Milan with my wife and daughter aged 14, from 27 March-3rd April.

We need to catch a flight from Bergamo airport at 10 pm 3rd April. We plan to go the Chur via train for a night or two and hopefully go straight from there to the airport in time for our flight.

Any one with better idea or advice keeping in mind wife is having little difficulty in long walking.

Many thanks for any help.

Shahzad

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 January 2018 at 3:06:01 #874342

Hi khanshahzad –

Welcome to my Swiss Alps!

Why did you pick Chur to visit?

Are you aware that at that time of year, higher alpine regions will be in late Winter? Chur may be experiencing the beginning of Spring.

It is especially puzzling, because, as far as I can tell from your message, you want to be in either Bergamo, or Como or Milan?

Probably, I misunderstood what your intentions are …..?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 4:14:21 #874343

>> We need to catch a flight from Bergamo airport at 10 pm 3rd April. We plan to go the Chur via train for a night or two and hopefully go straight from there to the airport in time for our flight.

Personally, I would not like to have such a long trip to catch a flight, especially given the time of year, and the fact that you need to travel through the mountains to get to Bergamo from Chur.

According to the SBB timetable, the standard route from Chur to Bergamo will take around 5.5 hours, and the first leg would be by PostBus from Chur to Bellinzona (reservations compulsory on the PostBus), followed by two train sectors.

The bus from Chur to Bellinzona is a lovely, scenic trip. The bus will travel through the San Bernardino tunnel, rather than over the top of the pass, so conditions at the top of the pass won’t be an issue. Disruptions on mountain routes (both trains and buses) are rare, but can’t be ruled out. If delays are not important to you, it doesn’t matter, but you might find any delays a bit stressful if you need to catch a flight.

Have you planned out your trip with the Swiss Timetable?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2018 at 5:11:58 #874344

Hello Shazad,

Presume you are wanting to go to Chur from Tirano to experience the Bernina Express?

Train from Bergamo to Tirano takes about 3½ hours. Bernina Express leaves Tirano at 14:25 and gets to Chur at 18:20 in the dark at that time of year.

Taking into account the timings Alpenrose has provided to get back to Bergamo you are going to be doing a lot of sitting in transport fo those two days.

You could always do the Bernina trip earlier in your stay then go back to Milan or Como for that part of your trip. Then you are within easy reach of Bergamo on the day of your flight out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 21:58:44 #874345

Thank you very much for your value able remarks, kindly advise we have already booked 2 nights 27 and 28 March in Bergamo- Then we wanted to go somewhere different, we been to Milan, Como, Lecco in 2007 and don’t want to go further into Italy, our return flight is on 3rd of April from Bergamo to Manchester.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 9:20:02 #874346

Hi Khansahzad,

You didn’t respond to rockoysters’s question about whether you’re wanting to go on the Bernina Express. I’m also assuming that that’s you’re plan when leaving Bergamo. You may want to consider to have a nigth in St. Moritz instead of Chur. There’s not much to do in Chur.

From St. Moritz you could continue your trip to Lucerne and have two nights there. From Lucerne you can go on the Gotthard Panorama Express which brings you to Lugano where you can spend another two nights. Lugano is close to Bergamo.

If you could let us know what your interests are, we can give you even more specific tips. The Swiss timetable is a good tool to plan your trip with.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 20:43:51 #874347

Hi, Thank you very much for you advise, yes initially i wanted to take Bernina Express. But confused, kindly guide me considering my wife is having difficulty in walking long and steps also will be difficult for her as well. if Chur is not having much we can only go till St.Moritz. and come back. need advise for that as well. I dont know about Lucerne and Lugano.

Please accept my thanks in advance.

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 22:19:50 #874348

Hi khanshahzad,

What would you and your wife normally do when you visit a place?And what would stop you from visiting other places? Public transportation is good in Switzerland.

I would suggest to do the Bernina Express up to Chur. The scenery is spectacular. What I actually wanted to say about Chur is that there is not much to do in terms of activities, but since you’re not planning to do a lot of sightseeing on foot, Chur will be fine for a night.

If you decide to extend your trip to other places, let us know. We’re happy to help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 22:27:30 #874349

We normally, hire or get wheelchair, if possible, I have checked the map, I think we should stay at St-Moritz. what you suggest. can we stay if we book that train, what is best time of year to go these places. ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 22:50:57 #874350

St. Moritz is definitely better and you can stay there.

In terms of the best time of the year, please check out the information on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress. I don’t know if you prefer green valleys or snowy mountains, or a combination.

You can book tickets here. Should you need special assistance, I would advice to contact Rhaetian Railway via email:

railservice@rhb .ch

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 January 2018 at 2:07:51 #874351

The Bernina Express which goes direct to St Moritz departs Tirano ay 10:06. That is going to be a challenge for you given the approximately 3½ train ride from Bergamo to Tirano.

You can still take the 14:25 Bernina Express for Chur that I mentioned earlier but you will need to change trains at Pontresina to reach St Moritz.

You can also go from Tirano to St Moritz directly on regular trains following the same route as the Bernina Express.

From St Moritz you can be in Milan in just over 4 hours by bus and train.

You really need to use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable), that Alpenrose mentioned, to see what might feasibly fit in with your aspirations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 22:31:39 #874352

Thanks, I am thinking to stay one night at Tirano and one night at St Moritz. what will be the difference in Regular train and the Bernina Express.. I am confused shall we go to Chur or not. and shall we stay while coming back to different place or not. is there in big difference in price of return tickets or we can buy one way and come back on different track. to explore more cities and places like Lugano if it worth travelling this much, then from Lugano to Bergamo. then take night flight to Manchester. at 10:00

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2018 at 0:09:27 #874353

There is not a lot to do or see in Tirano.

I’d go for a couple of nights in St. Moritz or nearby Pontresina..

To figure out how to get back to Lugano/Bergamo, use the timetable that has been linked above.

Use this map along with it, and zoom into see the train lines…at zoom level 32, if i recall correctly.

map.search.ch/Tirano?pos=805728,140640&z=8

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 January 2018 at 2:28:57 #874354

Slowpoke has quite rightly pointed out that Tirano probably does not warrant an overnight stay.

The reason I suggested going to Milan from St Moritz is that your mentioned staying in Como or Milan for 1/2 nights.

You will find a return ticket is twice the price of a return ticket. So there is no need to double back on the way your came. The timetable will give you fares.

You can read about the difference between the Bernina Express and regular trains here http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress There is a seat reservation charge on the Bernina which is not required on the regular trains.

Personally I would go through to Chur as you originally intended. Then next day catch bus (reservation required) to Bellinzona and on to Milan (or Lugano if you prefer to stay in Switzerland). Chur to Milan takes 4h 30m.

I did earlier suggest you would be arriving in Chur after dark on the 14:25 BEX from Tirano but that was not correct. Twilight starts about 9:00pm on 1 April.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 7:41:22 #874355

Hi Shahzad,

>> my wife is having difficulty in walking long and steps also will be difficult for her as well … I am thinking to stay one night at Tirano and one night at St Moritz.

St Moritz has two parts to it: the upper part on the hill called St Moritz Dorf, and the lower part on mainly flat land on the other side of the lake called St Moritz Bad. You might prefer to opt for a hotel in St Moritz Bad, close to a bus stop, rather than in the hilly part of town. The town buses are low-floor, and will get you to the railway station and up to St Moritz Dorf.

Alternatively, before booking a hotel in St Moritz, find out whether they provide a shuttle service between the railway station and the hotel. Also make sure the hotel has a lift.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 21:48:13 #874356

Thank you very much all, will finalize the trip in this week.

Best Regards

• The thread ‘Traveling from Bergamo / Tirano to Chur by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.