Travel from Geneva airport to Ouchy Lausanne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 14:07:49 #816199

Hello,

I will arrive at Geneva airport on Next Monday and I will then travel to Lausanne and stay at Hotel in Lausanne.

What is the cheapest way for this journey? Are there any pass (My swiss travel pass will start on Tuesday) or ticket for that? Can I use City-ticket for train from geneva airport to Lausanne Gare and take metro from Lausanne Gare to Ouchy-Olympique?

Thank you.

Palie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 15:13:14 #886191

Hi Palie,

The most direct route to get there is explained on the timetable here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable enter Geneva airport to “hotel address” and it will show you schedules and prices (the first fare is for Swiss Half Fare Card holders so double it for the normal price).

It may be possible to find a Super saver ticket for that trip – it would be the cheapest ticket price. No need to buy a rail pass for one day for that one trip. Super Saver tickets are found on the timetable with a % sign beside them. But note you must catch that specific departure time (miss it and you must buy another ticket). Regular tickets are valid for any train that day.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 May 2018 at 17:01:06 #886192

Hi,

You are going to be in a country where many things are not cheap, so it is best that you get used to it. I don’t know when you are arriving in Geneva, how much baggage you will have and what your plans are for the day of your arrival. However, if you have time you could also get to Lausanne Ouchy by taking a boat on Lake Geneva if you have good weather. The train ride from Geneva to Lausanne is equally scenic, and if you travel this way, I recommend you get a seat on the right side of the train. If you don’t you will be constantly looking across the aisle !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 23:04:59 #886193

Geneva – Lausanne railway isn’t all that scenic. It doesn’t run very close to the lake and it is flat and pretty industrial by the line in many places. Also, the left hand side is better for views – looking up to the Jura mountains

You can’t really benefit from a local tariff area pass because Geneva is in Geneva canton, and Lausanne is in Vaud canton.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 May 2018 at 1:30:15 #886194

Hi 1960man,

It has been a very long time since I have done the train run between Geneva and Lausanne. To re-acquaint myself with it I watched a number of cab-ride videos of the run and I must agree with you that it isn’t that scenic. Not any more ! Watching cab rides doesn’t show the view from one side or the other, and much of the run seems to be beside warehouses, commercial buildings, apartment buildings, grafitti covered cement walls, not to mention that a number of sections are running below grade, so the view is even less interesting. There are some sections, particularly from Geneva to Coppet, where one does have nice glimpses to the lake and over to the shore in France. How much of the Jura do you actually see from the train line ? This corridor saw a doubling of passenger traffic between 2000 and 2010 and it is expected to double again by 2030. Over 100,000 passengers per day ! Not a very touristy part of the CFF system. Once one is in Lausanne, the views get much better, whether continuing along the lake or heading up to Lake Neuchâtel and beyond. If our traveler has the time, I hope he goes from Geneva to Lausanne by boat.

The other comment you contributed (“You can’t really benefit from a local tariff area pass because Geneva is in Geneva canton, and Lausanne is in Vaud canton.”) is directed to our traveler and I hope he sees it..

Cheers !

• The thread ‘Travel from Geneva airport to Ouchy Lausanne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.