Travel from Geneva to Lucerne recommendations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 16:28:50 #815213

Hi. We are arriving in Geneva for 2 nights in May, traveling to Lucerne for 2 nights, and then on to Zurich. Is the Swiss Rail Pass a good option, or should we just buy tickets? Also, is the train from Geneva to Lucerne beautiful, or is it worth it to take the Golden Pass train from Montreux to Lucerne?

Any recommendations on staying in Geneva just one night and Interlaken 1 night instead of 2 nights in Geneva?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 16:47:07 #881535

Hi Petersfamily and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think the Swiss Travel Pass would make sense – it is available in 3, 4, 8 or 15 days only.

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

I’d choose the Golden Pass from Montreux to Lucerne. There is construction between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon (on the Montreux to Zweisimmen leg of the route) which requires a bus transfer; but it is only for 15 minutes and shouldn’t put you off.

If you are looking for mountain scenery/trips I would but a night from Geneva yes. In fact I think you’d be happy in Montreux instead (if possible). I’d then either do 1 or 2 nights in Montreux or add a night in Lucerne.

If you want to visit around Interlaken you can do a day trip from Lucerne (it is 2 hours by train but it saves the check-in/check out hassle for a 1 night stay which of course, you may or may not care about).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 17:09:25 #881536

Thanks for your reply!

Since we’ll have our luggage with us, would it be easier to take a train from Geneva to Zweisimmen and then catch the Golden Pass train from Zweisimmen, instead of having to get off and take a bus?

Thanks also for your advice on where to stay. Maybe we will stay one night in Geneva and another night in either Montreux or Interlaken.

Thank you!

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 April 2018 at 18:42:35 #881537

Hi Peters Family,

The way you suggest it is not possible as Zweisimmen is on the Golden Pass line. There are no other trains going there. You can either skip most of the Golden Pass line by traveling from Geneva via Bern to Spiez and pick up your trip from there, or you can ship your luggage to travel light.

• The thread ‘Travel from Geneva to Lucerne recommendations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.