Travel from Lauterbrunnen to Murren with crutches

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 22:11:14 #817053

Hello, We are traveling to Lauterbrunnen and on of our party will now be on crutches. Is it feasible to get to Murren from Lauterbrunnen with crutches. I understand there are two ways to make the trip. I want to know which one requires more walking. Please advise.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 23:52:41 #890105

Hi terra, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It depends on where you are going in Mürren. The railway station is at one end of the village, and the cable car is at the other. Walking between the two at a leisurely pace takes about 20 minutes on a fairly level paved path.

If you are heading to a hotel, you will need to find out whether it is closer to the railway station or the cable car.

If you are going up to the Schilthorn, the best option from Lauterbrunnen would be to get the bus to Stechelberg, and the cable car Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren-Birg-Schilthorn.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/murren/travel

Features of each route:

Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren

• At Lauterbrunnen, there are steps to access the cable car to Grütschalp, but also a lift.
    • There are steps into the train from Grütschalp to Mürren, but it is stated to be wheelchair-accessible, so they might have a ramp if the steps prove too difficult.
    • There are a lot of steps up to street level from the train platform at Mürren. I have not seen a lift there, but it is stated to be wheelchair-accessible, so there must be a lift somewhere.

Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren

• There are ramps for getting from the platforms at Lauterbrunnen station to the street.
    • The bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg is low-floor.
    • There are quite a lot of steps to access the cable car at Stechelberg, but there must also be a lift somewhere, as it is stated to be wheelchair-accessible.
    • Transfer between cable cars at Gimmelwald (and Mürren and Birg if you are going to the Schilthorn) is step-free.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 0:25:48 #890106

Alpenrose, Thank you so much for the detailed information. I appreciate it.

• The thread ‘Travel from Lauterbrunnen to Murren with crutches’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.