Train/bus routes for journey Milano to Chur

• Mbryant1800
    Participant
    7 posts
    25 March 2019 at 3:48:34 #820590

We are leaving Milan towards Chur to catch the Glacier Express. We got to Milan using the Bernina Express sand we want another route. I was considering Milan to Locarno or Lugano then Bellinzona to Chur. We are spending the night in Chur on July 4th, to board the Glacier Express on July 5th towards Zermatt. The swiss -postauto bus does not give me any routes to get there. Can you please give me advice on how we can travel? We are 3 and we already got our Swiss Flexi Pass this week.

Thank You Myrna

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2019 at 4:06:02 #907543

Hello Myrna,

If you are happy to travel by bus the attached timetable extract might help.

If you rule out the BEX route then the only “sensible” rail-only way I can think of is to follow the Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) route to Andermatt then via Disentis to Chur but this will double up on the Oberalp Pass you will travel on the Glacier Express the next day.

Another hybrid option would be the Palm Express bus from Lugano to St Moritz then regular trains heading via Zernez to Landquart and on to Chur to give you a different route to the BEX. Problem with that is the single daily Palm Express doesn’t get to St Moritz until around 7:00pm so probably not viable for you.Palm Express avos up to Landquart and on to Chur.

Mbryant1800
    Participant
    7 posts
    27 March 2019 at 2:43:17 #907544

to Rocky, Thank You for your response,

I did find out from Postauto that their schedule for July doesn’t get posted until May. We will do the bus route from Bellinzona to Chur since it is the most direct.I am sure I will have more questions as the time approaches.

Thank you for your prompt responses and help.

Myrna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2019 at 0:52:10 #907545

Bellinzona – Thusis (or Chur) by the bus over the San Bernardino route is nice and scenic.

There are some slower buses that don’t require reservations:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/62.214.pdf

Trivia: the RhB railway planned a railway that way but the First World War broke out and the railway was never built (except Mesocco – Bellinzona that is now closed)

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 March 2019 at 16:33:43 #907546

That’s interesting 1960man, what a great railway that would have been, connecting the Ticino to Graubünden!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2019 at 0:48:58 #907547

Don’t forget that the Misox valley is still Graubünden a lot of the way to Bellinzona, even though it is on the ‘south’ side of the San Bernardino, that’s why the railway was proposed in the first pace.

I ran as a tourist railway for some years but sadly and controversially the local region would not fund provision for it to survive – and funded road improvement instead

• The thread ‘Train/bus routes for journey Milano to Chur’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.