Munich to Lauterbrunnen to Venice by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 14:08:52 #819498

Getting bogged down in all the ways I can make this work. Think I have a route from Munich, but once in SUI, we plan to go to Jungfrau the next day, and then head to Italy a couple days later, preferably Venice. Any ideas on what pass would be best, or if going into different city in Italy first is better such as Milan?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2019 at 0:20:38 #902219

I would think a short-period validity version of Swiss Pass (ie the 3 day or 4 day version) would be your best bet.

However, if you take a look at a map, you will see that Munich – Venice via Switzerland is a long way round. The direct route Munich – Venice is the Brenner Pass route, itself very scenic.

If you stick to your proposed idea of arcing all the way west via Jungfrau before turning back east, you will find that the railway route from Switzerland to Venice goes via Milan anyway, so you will naturally end up in Milan if you head south from Jungfrau region into Italy

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 January 2019 at 6:51:51 #902220

Welcome to MySwissAlps Worldtravel1!

There are various pass options. The best one depends on your plans in the Jungfrau region and whether you prefer convenience (unlimited traveling) or the cheapest option (may or may not involve getting tickets for each trip). Please have a look here and let us know if you need further help:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2019 at 20:02:54 #902221

Hi! This is a very useful thread. One additional question. Would a Swiss half fare card be valid for a train ride from Lauterbrunnen across the border to Venice? I don’t think so but was hoping someone with experience could give some expert insight. Trying to decide whether the $120 card is worth it. (It will be if it discounts our train leaving Switzerland) thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 January 2019 at 20:50:22 #902222

Hello Jennar and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Any form of Swiss pass will only provide advantages up to the Swiss border which in you your case would be Domodossola I expect.

Have you had a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel?

If you want advice on your specific travel plans within Switzerland it’s best to start a new thread. 🤓

• The thread ‘Munich to Lauterbrunnen to Venice by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.