Travel from munich to the alps for 6 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2012 at 1:13:22 #805503

Hello. My husband and I will be in Munich on business and will travel to the Alps afterward for 6 days, departing for home from a Swiss airport. Aside from visiting Zermatt (my husband wants to show me this area), our time is open. What is the best way to use our little time well, ultimately ending up in the best Swiss city for departure? I have been researching the entire Interlaken area and am having difficulty making choices as it all sounds wonderful. We’d like to mix hiking, trains and lovely, quaint Swiss gemutlichkeit for an optimal experience. Suggestions from those of you who are more familiar with the area? Your help is greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    27 July 2012 at 7:52:07 #836835

Hi maryb! Interlaken and the Jungfrau region can be highly recommend for the type of experience you’re looking for. It offers great scenic beauty, lots of hiking options and wonderful day trips. The links I provided, as well as the timetable, will help you to choose and plan your stay. Apart from Zermatt, I would pick just one base for your overnight stays if I were you, either in Interlaken for its central location or in one of the nearby towns for more quiet surroundings.

A Swiss rail pass is probably convenient and more economical than buying regular tickets. These FAQ can guide you. I don’t know when you’ll be traveling, but you should take a look at the current offers described in the forum (such as the 2 for 1 deals).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2012 at 22:20:10 #836836

We have decided to add a day to do the Glacier Express. Here is our itinerary.
    9-19 — Munich to St. Moritz (overnight St. Moritz)
    9-20 — Glacier Express to Zermatt (overnight in Zermatt)
    9-21 — Zermatt and environs (overnight in Zermatt)
    9-22 — Zermatt to Interlaken and Interlaken sightseeing (overnight in Interlaken)
    9-23 — Interlaken and environs (overnight in Interlaken, Wengen, Grindelwald?????)
    9-24 — Interlaken and environs (overnight in Interlaken, Wengen, Grindelwald????)
    9-25 — Train to Lucerne for day (overnight in Lucerne)
    9-26 — Train to Zurich airport — depart to USA

Questions: what passes should we buy? 2 of the 2 for 1 Swiss Saver? How do we then pay for the Glacier Express? Also, which places should we stay in Bernese Oberland and Zermatt? Any suggestions from personal experience?

Thanks so much.
    Maryb

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 August 2012 at 4:25:23 #836837

Hello Maryb! If you don’t mind I’ll answer your questions in your other topic and close this one, to keep the overview.

• The thread ‘Travel from munich to the alps for 6 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.