Good stop over between Mürren & Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 2:46:39 #815278

in mid June…

Looking for roughly a 2 -3 hour stop while travelling from Murren to Zermatt. originally was planning on Montreux, but I want to keep the train time down for the day, and want to arrive in Zermatt before dinner time (leaving Murren around 8-9 am).

I’m currently looking at heading to Thun possibly via boat from Interlaken West…Not sure if i’m reading the boat schedule correctly? is it approx 2 hours 15 minutes? (we will have Swiss Travel Passes).

Would Thun be a good spot for a few hours, or would you recommend a different town?

Thanks

Ken

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 9:35:14 #882006

Hi Ken,

Yes, that is about the boat trip duration. You can find schedules here, or on the timetable. When are you traveling? In the Spring, the first boat doesn’t leave until 12pm. Thun is a lovely town though.

Another option, that could work….would be taking a train to Frutigen, and a short bus ride to Blausee? Spend some time there for lunch and then bus on to Kandersteg (15 minutes) before taking the train on to Brig or Visp and then to Zermatt.

You can read about a trip I made to the Blausee here for more details and pictures.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 13:37:09 #882007

We’ll be travelling to Zermatt June 19th..i”ll look into Blausee, Thanks

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    12 April 2018 at 17:39:22 #882008

I would suggest taking the scenic train route from either Thun or Spiez through Kandersteg and spend several hours. Take the small gondola up to Oeschinensee…absolutely breathtaking. Oeschinensee.ch/en/ Have a wonderful trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 23:13:28 #882009

Both areas look pretty amazing….thanks for those suggestions..Will see how the weather unfolds on that particular day.

Thanks

Ken

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2018 at 1:24:33 #882010

Hi Ken-

<<Will see how the weather unfolds on that particular day.”>>

Please make sure to check webcams as well as weather reports.

Depending on altitude, June 19th could still be Winter on some trails at 2000 meters and above.

Oeschinensee at 1578 meters is likely to be OK. Not sure how much sunn gets to the trail to the lake however.

.Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 2:16:09 #882011

The snow melt is my biggest concern for this trip, there’s a few higher altitude hikes iI was hoping to do on this trip, the Hornlihutte hike in Zermatt being one, ( I am prepared for that to be closed) but oh well….we’ll just have to come back again later one summer. Either way it’s goingto be a great trip.

Ken

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2018 at 9:44:42 #882012

Glad to see that you are aware of the seasonal issues. Years ago, we used to visit Switzerland in June, and really enjoyed the wild flowers in the meadows at moderate elevations. However, we were often disappointed by snow at high altitudes, and the fact that some mountain transport was not open. Weather was not yet into a stable summer pattern either. We finally settled on September and were rewarded with some beautifully clear days and moderate temperatures most times when we came then.

I have read several posts in this forum about a really nice viewpoint above Kandersteg on the West side of the valley. Perhaps Arno or Maggie will jump in to jog my memory with the name or more details.

Finally, for something that you might not have tried :

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

Since they installed hourly service on the “Lötschberger” train which makes all the local stops on the Südrampe, it is convenient to fit in a walk of about the length that you mentioned. Not very strenuous, but the variety of the scenery is enjoyable. And, in June it will be warm and not wet. Lots of sun there.

http://www.switzerlandbyrail. com/trains/scenic/lots chberger_express.htm

If you stop at the beer garden above Raron, which I have not done for a few years now, don’t order the Rösti with onions unless you want a lot of not so well-cooked onions and not so many potatoes.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 April 2018 at 15:41:43 #882013

The Allmenalp is a good viewing point, overlooking Kandersteg, Oeschinensee and many peaks. The cableway station is a 15 minute walk from the Kandersteg train station.

http://www.allmenalp.ch/home/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 18:22:48 #882014

Thanks, I was planning on the Lötschberger train since I have a bit of time to place with…Lots of great options…if only I could add a few more days…

Ken

• The thread ‘Good stop over between Mürren & Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.