Saint Louis, France to Basel Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 12:55:33 #817230

Hi ,

I have bought swiss pass to explore swiss , iam staying in Saint Louis france , is swiss pass valid in trains to/from Saint Louis to basel. If not where can I buy the tickets for this cross border travel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 14:28:06 #891149

HiAnusha_3 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid on the route from Basel to Basel EuroAirport (in Saint Louis) so that bus route is covered. Other routes around the town of Saint Louis, France would not be I believe.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 23:58:06 #891150

St Louis is now served by Basel tram route 3 which was recently extended to St Louis, re-establishing a tramway link closed on the 1950s. It is a Basel city tram route but Swiss Travel Pass is not valid as it crosses the border. You would need to buy a short hop ticket from St Louis to the first stop on Swiss territory.

Alternatively take the train from St Louis to Basel SNCF/SBB, again a local ticket would be needed for that.

If you are staying in St Louis (suspect you’ve realised it’s a cheap way to stay ‘in Switzerland’) for some days, you will soon get used to what ticket to buy and where the ticket machines are situated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 0:03:29 #891151

It depends on which hotel, but I suspect the Euroairport bus is no use as most St Louis hotels are near the town not near the airport

If staying in the aparthotel Adagio Access, walking to the Swiss border terminus of tram route 11 is quickest.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 8:19:33 #891152

Yes, I suspect that too.

Thanks for confirming. Sometimes they extend the validity of the STP into France and Italy in a couple places but not here expect the one bus to the airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 9:07:33 #891153

Hi , Thanks for your response , I did some search online , I have planned to buy TER Train tickets from Saint Louis to Basel.Indeed the accommodation cost is reasonable in Saint Louis when compared to basel , when I searched stay in basel it showed saint Louis as well .

• The thread ‘Saint Louis, France to Basel Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.