Travel from Wengen for trips and departure to Rome

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2019 at 3:51:39 #822182

We are staying 2 nights in Lucerne and 3 nights in Wengen. The more I’m looking things up, the more I get confused. How do we travel from Wengen to Schilthorn? I want to make reservations at Piz Gloria but want to make sure I’m allowing enough time for us to get there but I don’t know how to figure out the timing or how to get there. Also we are leaving Wengen on June 28th and have to take the fastest route to Rome. It looks like we need to get to Brig and would have to be there by 8:30am. Is it possible to get out of Wengen early enough to be in Brig by that time? I hope this isn’t too many questions. I have so many more but this will certainly help me get started. Thank you so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 June 2019 at 4:59:09 #914784

Hello JDub and welcome to MySwissAlps

For getting to Brig use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel.

The same timetable will give you the travel times around the Jungfrau region including cable cars.

To get to Schilthorn from Wengen you first get the train to Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you head to Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. The entire circuit and side trips are free with the Swiss Travel Pass apart from the Allmendhubel Funicular (50% discount) and the Falls (modest entry fee).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2019 at 8:25:21 #914785

Hello JDub,

Find input on how to best use the timetable for your planning in below link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You can get to Brig by 8:11 leaving Wengen at 6 o’clock. The timetable above will confirm.

For input about hot to get to the Schilthorn and also regarding you departure to Rome, please find helpful information below:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Get back to us anytime for further input.

Best and happy planning.

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2019 at 20:06:23 #914786

Thank you so much for your input. I love this website. It has saved my life! It is so easy to get stressed out when you are not familiar with the way things work there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 12:28:15 #914787

JDub:

The logistics are actually easier than how they may sound at first. As others have noted many times, the transportation is coordinated very well and things generally run on time. If by chance a given train is late, then the next one typically shows up within a reasonable time. The SBB app and website is a great resource for all of the transit times.

I’m from the United States and did a similar trip a few years back. I left Murren for Rome and connected to the train in Brig.

Happy travels,

Barry

• The thread ‘Travel from Wengen for trips and departure to Rome’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.