Zurich to Jungfrauch on our own or on tour?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 12:01:52 #816463

Hi, we are planning to visit Switzerland in July for 4 days. We are trying to book a tour for myself and my husband to Jungfraujoch. The company gave us two options for the day tour. Both do not require us to get a Swiss travel pass and are 11.5 hr return trip from Zurich. There is a big difference in the cost, one costs US$139/person (Tour code 2460JUNG_EIGER) and the other costs US$250/person (Tour code 2460JUNG) . I asked the company what is the difference and they simply said these are different providers. I suspect the cheaper one may not take us upto the top and we may not be able to visit Alpine sensation and Sphinx onservatory. Can anyone please help to clarify if this is true? Any experience with the this tour company will be highly appreciated.

Will we be better off with buying a swiss travel pass and travel on our own? But I read that Cogwheel train may not be covered by Swiss travel pass. and it may be too troublesome going without the tour guide. There is one more option to buy a Swiss travel pass and then book the tour which will cost us $187/person. Please suggest?

Any help is highly appreciated

Thanks

Niru

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 13:57:46 #887469

Hi Niru and welcome to MySwissalps!

I think you are talking about these 2 Viator tours?

1. Jung 2460
    2. Jung_Eiger

The 2nd one (cheaper) does indeed not go to the top of Jungfraujoch (part way up the mountain only) so you will miss out on the highlights of Jungfraujoch.

There is no point to buying the Swiss Travel Pass if the trip to Jungfraujoch (on your own or with a guide) is the only excursion you will be making in Switzerland.

However, if you are planning more train, boat, bus or cable car trips in the country, the Swiss Travel Pass would make economic sense. You’ll need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

If you don’t want to do the math work and you plan on traveling around the country for several days or longer than I’d buy the Swiss Travel Pass for convenience sake.

It is quite common to travel to Jungfraujoch on your own, however from Zurich it is a long day and you may prefer taking a tour so as not to worry about train connections etc. Personal preference. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 14:12:38 #887470

Thanks Lucas. So that means with jung-eiger, the second tour, we will not be able to go to observatory and alpine sensations. I guess they would be on top. They did not make it clear. I would be travelling on golden pass line on another day as well. So I think I should buy the pass and will cancel the jung- Eiger tour that I booked already. I guess I still have to pay for cog wheel train even with the pass. Is that right?

thanks

Niru

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 14:48:09 #887471

Correct.

You can see on the descriptions, the first one talks about Jungfraujoch and the Sphinx but the 2nd one does not – it just mentions Kleine Scheidegg which is only part way up the mountain.

You will have to pay for a portion of the trip to Jungfraujoch on the Swiss Travel Pass yes. From Zurich to Grindelwald or Wengen there is not cost. But from either of those towns to Jungfraujoch you have to buy a ticket (and you get 25% off that price).

See what routes (PDF map) and mountains (list) are covered fully or partially here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips on the train, buses, cable cars etc.
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Where are you staying during your time in Switzerland and for how long?Are you staying in Zurich for the entire trip and making day trips from there? If so the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass probably makes sense. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

• The thread ‘Zurich to Jungfrauch on our own or on tour?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.