Travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch and back

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 10:33:02 #809210

I would like to travel from Zurich to jungfrau and back the same day as my hotel is in Zurich. Please advice the best route

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 May 2016 at 12:04:22 #852074

Hi vipulo71168, and welcome!

I assume you will be doing this by train. The best route is the quickest route, as this is a very long day trip from Zurich (about 11 hours). The quickest route is through Bern and Interlaken. Schedules can be found in the timetable, and the route from Interlaken is described in detail on our Jungfraujoch page. There are guided tours as well, please see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 12:14:04 #852075

Thanks for your reply.

I think from Zurich to Interlaken is about 2hr30min journey. Will you please explain me the journey time from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch. and where can I find the timetable for this route. I would buy the swissrail pass. Is the pass valid from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch.

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 May 2016 at 12:50:37 #852076

You’re welcome! I already gave you the link to the timetable, and several other links, so you can find all details there. Zurich to Interlaken is about 2 hours. Interlaken to Jungfraujoch is 2h15. Then add at least 2 hours to explore the place, and the same trip back. It’s a very long day trip.

The Swiss Travel Pass page explains all about what’s included, how it works, and where to buy: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 14:27:51 #852077

Thanks for your reply.

Do I need to do any seat reservation while travelling on the train from Interlaken to jungfraujoch.?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 14:54:55 #852078

Sorry to trouble you again.

In the timetable I could find trains from Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg. But from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch I could not find the train. IN the Jungfraujoch page it says that there is a cog wheel train. But how to find the timetable for this. Also do I need reservation on the cog wheel train.

Thanks

Vipul

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 May 2016 at 16:11:27 #852079

Hi Vipul,

Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/ tickets. I don’t know why the timetable did not work for you. I just tried and it showed me all trains. Note that you don’t have to look for schedules for each leg individually. Just fill out Zurich to Jungfraujoch and it shows all the trains and changes along the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 15:22:54 #852080

Yes, I could get the timetable now. Thanks.

I still need your reply on whether I need to reserve seat on the cog wheel train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch. I would be purchasing the swiss travel pass for family.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 May 2016 at 16:21:30 #852081

Hi Vipul,

The page I gave you in my previous post explains about seat reservations. Basically you don’t need them, but in high season it can be considered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 16:37:58 #852082

I will be purchasing the swiss travel pass for my family.

If I have this pass, I can travel all the way from Zurich to Jungfraujoch and back or only a part of this journey is free? I f so which part is free and which part I need to buy the ticket?

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 May 2016 at 16:45:10 #852083

Hi Vipul,

You can find that on the Swiss Travel Pass page: http://www.myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass. Please click “Where it’s valid”. You’ll also find the purchase options there, as well as lot of details on how the pass works.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 20:10:03 #852084

Thanks for all your help. I have now planned my trip as below:

Arrive Zurich on Sunday 22.05.2015, morning. I will be staying in Zurich from 22 to 26 May (check out).Hotel Booked. Family-Myself, wife and 12 year old daughter.

Sunday – visit zurich lake other places in Zurich.

Monday to Wednesday (3 days) I would like to spend as below: If you have any better suggestions, please advice.

– 1 day from Zurich to Jungfraujoch and back.

– 1 day visit to Lucerne (Zurich- Lucerne – Zurich)

– 1 day travel by Glacier Express, part of the route i.e. start from Zurich-take Glacier express and back to ZUrich.

Please suggest me the best travel pass to purchase, and the travel itinerary. From where to take the glacier express and cog wheel train to Jungfraujoch.

Many thanks & best regards

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2016 at 7:06:51 #852085

Hi Vipul,

Monday and Wednesday are long trips, but if you want to see these places I’d say go for it! How to do part of the Glacier Express route from Zurich is explained on the Glacier Express page. The Jungfraujoch trip starts in Interlaken. You’ll find all details on the Jungfraujoch page.

I’d recommend the 3-day Swiss Travel Pass, to be used from Monday (May 23) to Wednesday. You need one for the 2 adults, and if you enter the child she gets a free Swiss Family Card which allows free traveling for her. You can go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of that list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) so you can print it at home. Since you will need it by Monday you must order today as it takes a few days to e-mail the pass. Buying in Zurich would take more time, so I’d recommend the print at home option for convenience. The pass will be ready to use. If you can’t order today there’s still 1 or perhaps 2 days left to order a print at home pass through http://www.raileurope.co.in/p ass/swiss-travel-pass-82. In that case you can use this promo code.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 10:59:11 #852086

Good Afternoon.

Thanks for you advice.

1. I could find that the Glacier express is included in Swiss pass, we just need to pay the reseration charges.
    2. But for Interlaken to Jungfraujoch, Can i get any discount with swiss pass. For eg. when I try to book ticket from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch, it gives option of no reduction, half fare ticket and children but no swiss pass discount option. Also in the tmetable it shows fare from CHF 51 but when I try to book (no reduction), it shows return ticket fare as CHF204 for an adult.

Please advice. Thanks.

Vipul

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2016 at 11:38:20 #852087

Hi Vipul,

1. That’s correct for the Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Pass is not what you need.
    2. Yes, the trip is partly free and partly discounted. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page I referred to, and click “Where it’s valid”. You can buy the additional discounted ticket at any station, on the day of traveling or the day before. No need to book this in advance.
  • The thread ‘Travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch and back’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.