Are Swiss regional trains faster than panoramic?

Are Swiss regional trains faster than panoramic?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
malraj
malraj
24 posts
Apr 1, 2018 - 10:36 AM

Are regional trains faster than Panoramic trains? I have to travel to Interlaken from Geneva on 12th May 2018. Should I take a regional train via Bern or Glacier express? After 2 days(12th & 13th May) stay in Interlaken (from where I intend going to Jungfraujoch) I travel to Lucerne where I shall spend 2 days(While in Lucerne shall go to Mount Pilatus). On 16th May I travel from Lucerne to Zurich airport for flight back to India. Guide me on how to travel between these places. And how I can utilise time better to see any other place from Interlaken and Lucerne. Thanx.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3712 posts
expert
Apr 1, 2018 - 11:06 AM in reply to malraj

The Glacier Express (www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) doesn’t go anywhere near Geneva or Interlaken. Perhaps you mean the Golden Pass Line (www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass)? The route Geneva to Interlaken via Bern is faster but less scenic than the Golden Pass line via Montreux and Zweisimmen.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 1, 2018 - 12:56 PM in reply to malraj

>> Are regional trains faster than Panoramic trains?

Regional trains also travel on the panoramic routes, so what you probably mean is whether there are faster ways of getting from A to B than on a panoramic route.

The answer is yes :-)

The fastest routes for getting around in Switzerland (generally speaking) are fast because they go through the flatter parts of the country and/or take valley and tunnel routes, which is great for commuters.

However, if you are a tourist, you miss out on so much by choosing the fast routes over longer, more scenic ones. Scenic routes tackle the mountains and transport you through stunning scenery instead of zooming underneath it in a tunnel or detouring through the flatter parts of the country to avoid the mountains.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Apr 13, 2018 - 8:30 AM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018