Swiss plan help – Zurich, Lauterbrunnen & Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 11:10:09 #813088

Hello,

Thank you for these forums. Very helpful indeed.

My husband and I are travelling for his conference in Zurich. We plan to spend some time before the conference (Sep 9, 10, 11) before going to Zurich and staying Sep 15 in Zurich.

Sep 9 – Zurich Airport-> Interlaken-> Lautenbrunnen hotel (drop off luggage). If next day’s weather(Sep 10) is not good, then go to Jungfrau today. If not, spend time in Interlaken. What are the main things to see in Interlaken?

Sep 10 – If weather is good, preference is to go to Jungfrau mountain. Is it cheaper to go with the guided tour or on our own? What is the best priced option to go up to the Jungfrau? will everyone have access to go to the Jungfrau mountain attractions or do i need to buy extra tickets at the top?

Sep 11 – Lautenbrunnen to Luzern sightseeing. Luzern to Zurich hotel (by night time) . Is Engelberg on the way? Is it worth stopping there or spending more time in Luzern.

Can I fit in Wengen/Engelberg/ Grindelwald/Murren during these three days? Which is the best place to see out of these?

Does it make sense to buy the swiss travel pass or swiss half fare train fare? We are willing to rent a car too if the price is really a big difference, otherwise would prefer the train itself.

Sep 12 – 15. I would like to go to Rhine Falls by myself while my husband is in the conference. What about Black Forest – good to visit? anything else close to zurich to see during daytime ? otherwise planning to spend time in zurich itself.

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 11:22:33 #869010

Hi Gallatravel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Sep.9 –> See a list of activities for Lauterbrunnen here.

Sep.10–> A guided tour is always more expensive than going on your on. You can read about how to get to Jungfraujoch and ticket prices here.

Sep.11–> I would spend all your time in Luzern

Wengen is very close to Lauterbrunnen, so easy to explore. You can also go via Grindelwald and Wengen to Jungfraujoch so you can spend some time in the village on your day to Jungfraujoch. Both towns are worthwhile to visit. Mürren also, but with your limited time in the area I would focus on the first two.

Sep. 12-15–> Certainly the RheinFalls are an easy day trip from Zurich. As is a trip to Uetliberg (a local mountain, small but nice views of Zurich) as well as a boat tour of Lake Zurich. For other ideas see out Zurich page here.

You probably will want to buy a rail pass for part or most of your stay. A Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card would be good options for you I think.

I hope this helps with your planning!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 13:58:36 #869011

Thank you so much, Lucas. You helped us a lot with the links and now I can plan for the travel pass and the jungfrau tickets. Very helpful. I have two additional questions, please.

Lauterbrunnen hotels are already sold out for our price range.So, instead of Lauterbrunnen, we got the hotel at Grindewald for september dates that we wanted.

Sep 9 – Zurich Airport-> Grindelwald hotel (drop off luggage). If next day’s weather(Sep 10) is not good, then go to Jungfrau today. If not, spend time in Grindelwald. Is it worth going to Interlaken from Grindelwald or better places to see near Grindelwald? We like hiking too.

QUESTION: (Go to Interlaken or what other place do you suggest for half a day?)

Sep 10 – If weather is good, preference is to go to Jungfrau mountain. Grindelwald -> Lauterbrunnen (or what do you suggest for half a day) then to Kleine Station -Jungfrau – Grindelwald

QUESTION: (Go to Lauterbrunnen or what other place do you suggest for half a day before Jungfrau?)

I also read that you can print the swiss travel pass at home, which will be helpful. will print it before leaving in two weeks.

Thank you so much.

Latha

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 17:34:30 #869012

Hi Latha,

Sep 9 –>I would stay in and around Grindelwald rather than visit Interlaken. There is a lot to do around Grindelwald.

Sep.10 –> I would visit Jungfraujoch on whichever day is looking better (9th or 10th). Jungfraujoch really can be a full day (at least I wouldn’t plan anything else that day). But if you end up having a 1/2 day free exploring Lauterbrunnen and the valley (like Trümmelbach Falls) is a good way to spend it.

Yes, when you buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here, you can have it emailed to you for printing at home – definitely the best option!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 23:20:22 #869013

Thank you so much, Lucas. You have been very helpful. Very much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Swiss plan help – Zurich, Lauterbrunnen & Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.