Pass to travel in Jungfrau region for a week?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 14:51:48 #817213

Wife and I are going to be in the Jungfrau region this August.

Current plan is to park in Interlaken and take trains, trams, etc. to get to Murren (3 nights) then Wengen (3 nights). We want to go to the various towns in the area while there. Then back to get car in Interlake.

Should I be getting the Jungfrau Travel Pass for this?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 July 2018 at 15:11:51 #891075

Hi WilliamKevin,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! The Jungfrau Travel Pass could be a good fit, or the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland if you want to explore a larger region. How those passes work, what’s included and where to buy can be found here:

Do you plan to rent a car? As it’s kind of a waste to pay the rental fee and parking for a week. What are your plans before and after the week in the Jungfrau region?

By the way, personally I’d pick one of the towns as a base. Switching to another town takes half a day, and the area is small enough to explore from either Mürren or Wengen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 15:26:03 #891076

We’ll be in Italy with the car for two weeks before we come to Switzerland. Then driving to Geneva and staying two nights, then two nights in Zermatt, then we come to the Jungfrau region for a week. From there we will be going to Como, Italy and eventually flying out of Milan, back to the USA.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 18:40:36 #891077

Ah well then the rental car can’t be avoided. 🙂

Consider the Swiss Half Fare Card as well. You’ll have to buy more individual tickets, but it will cover (by 50%) your trips in Zermatt, like Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat as well as the mountains you visit in the Jungfrau Region.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d

https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/kleinmatterhorn
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/gornergrat

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 July 2018 at 18:19:55 #891078

I’d consider dropping off the rental car in Italy and do the Swiss portion of your trip by train. Zermatt is car free so again your car will be parked there. Geneva isn’t car free but the city really isn’t suitable to explore by car. Either walk or take the trams, that will be much more relaxed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 18:36:07 #891079

The problem with that is I’m flying into Rome, spending 3 days there. Then driving to a villa about 15 km outside of Lucca in Tuscany for 10 days. From there we will go to Geneva, Zermatt, Interlaken, Murren, Wengen, Lke Como, and finally flying out of Milan. I just figure it will be more convenient having a car.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 July 2018 at 11:51:35 #891080

I sure understand your reasoning. I just think it might be worth it to drop the car somewhere in Italy near a larger train station (Domodossola perhaps), then take trains to and around Switzerland, and hire a car again in Como. The car won’t be adding much convenience in Switzerland as it will be parked most of the time, for a fee. Anyway, good luck deciding!

• The thread ‘Pass to travel in Jungfrau region for a week?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.