Best Swiss rail pass to/around Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 13:54:16 #816220

Hello,

My Fiancee and I will be travel from Basel Airport to Wengen at the end of June. I have a few questions.

1.What is the most efficient train pass?

2.Will we need reservations at that time of year?

3.Is the Swiss Pass enough to travel around Wengen, Murren, and Grindlewald or will we need additional tickets?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Peter

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 16:23:45 #886289

Hi Peter and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂
    2. Most Swiss trains do not accept reservations. You won’t need them
    3. Check where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity
    WendyLR
    Participant
    3 posts
    25 May 2018 at 16:51:16 #886290

look at the regional rail pass for Bernese-Oberland. It is valid from Bern or Lucern. Its great for the area, but you would have to get a ticket from Basel to one of the above. I just returned from the area and it was so easy to just be able to get about.

read details on what it does and does not cover in detail, but if you area staying in that area, i think it has better coverage locally than the Swiss Travel Pass.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    25 May 2018 at 20:26:08 #886291

I agree about the Bernese Oberland pass. I used one in 2015 and made many different trips, sometimes on trains buses and boats not so often used by international tourists.

An example is the bus from Brienz to Axalp. It can easily be combined with a boat trip on the Brienzersee.

You could consider a regular ticket to either Bern or Luzern to start using the pass. Your return to Basel could be on the other route.

You’ll definitely need an extra ticket to get ride the Jungfrau line but all other travel should be covered.

I feel it’s better to focus on a region if only in Switzerland for a short time rather than an exhausting itinerary that tries to do too much.

Enjoy your travels

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 16:37:03 #886292

Thank you all the helpful information! Do you know if the Bernesse-Oberland Rail Pass will cover our travel from the Basel Airport to Wengen or would we need an additional ticket?

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    27 May 2018 at 18:51:17 #886293

You would need an additional ticket to Bern.

Easily obtained online before you leave home.

I’m sure others, like me, will look forward to hearing of your travel experiences.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 19:59:43 #886294

Hi Peter,

You can see a map of the coverage area of the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpassbern eseoberland/validity

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 14:37:57 #886295

Thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted on our travels!

• The thread ‘Best Swiss rail pass to/around Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.