Travel Lauterbrunnen-Mürren without gondola?

• JenOliStan
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 September 2022 at 14:10:26 #828263

Is it possible to go from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren without riding the gondola? I can only find two routes to get Mürren and both include the gondola.

Thanks for any help 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    5 September 2022 at 14:34:18 #946460

Hi JenOliStan,

Mürren is a mountain village located at roughly 1600m above sea level. The quickest and most convenient way to reach Mürren from Lauterbrunnen is via the Grütschalp cableway or the Schilthorn cable car. It’s possible to hike up via Gimmelwald but would take at least 2 to 3 hours.

You can find details on how to travel to Mürren here: http://www.myswissalps.com/murren/travel

Regards,

Anna

JenOliStan
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 September 2022 at 14:43:24 #946461

Thank you for replying.The reason I was looking for an alternative way is because we have a little dog and I wasn’t sure if he’d be allowed on the cable cars (also I’m a little afraid lol!) But I do want to brave up and experience it!

Do you know if dogs are allowed?

Also, I’m guessing it would be nice to use one route going up and the other route to come down for variety. Is there one that is more scary than the other and would be best to tackle it on the climb or decent? Thank you again!

Best wishes

Jenny

Anna
    6274 posts
    5 September 2022 at 14:51:43 #946462

Hi Jenny,

No worries. You can definitely take your dog along on the cable car with you. You might have to buy a separate ticket though. You’ll find some useful information on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/dogs

Regards,

Anna

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    7 September 2022 at 23:48:01 #946463

Hi Jenny,

In my opinion, the Schilthorn gondola from Stechelberg up to Mürren (with a stop at Gimmelwald) is a steeper ride than the one from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp. So perhaps go up via Stechelberg (this means you start by taking the bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg), and come back down via gondola from Grütschalp to Lauterbrunnen. For your information, there is a wonderful quaint train from Mürren to Grütschalp.

The views are spectacular from both gondolas!!! I think that you will maybe find the strength to ‘brave it up’!

Enjoy!!

Monica

JenOliStan
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 September 2022 at 11:17:27 #946464

Thank you for this advice!

Are there two ends to Lauterbrunnen and the bus goes from one to the other?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 11:21:55 #946465

Hi JenOliStan,

yes, one end is in Stechelberg and the other one is in Lauterbrunnen. It is around 10-15 mins by bus (nr. 141.)

You can read about how to get to Mürren, here: http://www.myswissalps.com/murren/travel.

Ildiko

JenOliStan
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 September 2022 at 16:14:47 #946466

Brilliant! Thanks 🙂

• The thread ‘Travel Lauterbrunnen-Mürren without gondola?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.