Scenic train day trip from Luzern?

Scenic train day trip from Luzern?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jyotisanghvi
Jyotisanghvi
4 posts
May 11, 2018 - 7:02 AM

I have a full day in Luzern before I leave for Paris. On this day I wish to take one of the scenic train journeys.

Which one is doable and do I need to buy a separate ticket for this journey or is it included in the 4 day Swiss travel pass?

Lucas
Lucas
8941 posts
expert &
May 11, 2018 - 12:58 PM in reply to Jyotisanghvi

Hi Jyotisanghvi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You could look at either the Golden Pass route (Luzern to Montreux) or the Gotthard Panoramic Express train (Luzern to Lugano). The Golden Pass route has 3 sections so you change trains twice and the panoramic trains are only on the last section (Zweisimmen to Montreux).

The Gotthard Panoramic Express train only has panoramic train cars in 1st class and the trip is partly by boat and then by train.

Both trains/routes are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. You must make a reservation on the Gotthard Panoramic Expreaas though and the Zweisimmen to Montreux section should be reserved in the summer season as it gets quite busy (not mandatory).

Jyotisanghvi
Jyotisanghvi
4 posts
May 11, 2018 - 3:55 PM

Thank u so much for this information. But as I read the full journey takes almost 5+ hours one way.

so how does one return from montreux? Another 5 hrs? And is the last leg of panorama something not to be missed!

Lucas
Lucas
8941 posts
expert &
May 12, 2018 - 5:08 AM in reply to Jyotisanghvi

You can return via faster regional train - the timetable always gives the fastest options for your route.

The last leg of the Golden Pass is the best part I think (described here). But if you don't have the full day needed to do the entire trip on the Golden Pass route then go for the slightly quicker Gotthard Panoramic Express.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018