Scenic train day trip from Luzern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 7:02:25 #815888

I have a full day in Luzern before I leave for Paris. On this day I wish to take one of the scenic train journeys.

Which one is doable and do I need to buy a separate ticket for this journey or is it included in the 4 day Swiss travel pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 12:58:59 #884884

Hi Jyotisanghvi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You could look at either the Golden Pass route (Luzern to Montreux) or the Gotthard Panoramic Express train (Luzern to Lugano). The Golden Pass route has 3 sections so you change trains twice and the panoramic trains are only on the last section (Zweisimmen to Montreux).

The Gotthard Panoramic Express train only has panoramic train cars in 1st class and the trip is partly by boat and then by train.

Both trains/routes are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. You must make a reservation on the Gotthard Panoramic Expreaas though and the Zweisimmen to Montreux section should be reserved in the summer season as it gets quite busy (not mandatory).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 15:55:18 #884885

Thank u so much for this information. But as I read the full journey takes almost 5+ hours one way.

so how does one return from montreux? Another 5 hrs? And is the last leg of panorama something not to be missed!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 5:08:02 #884886

You can return via faster regional train – the timetable always gives the fastest options for your route.

The last leg of the Golden Pass is the best part I think (described here). But if you don’t have the full day needed to do the entire trip on the Golden Pass route then go for the slightly quicker Gotthard Panoramic Express.

• The thread ‘Scenic train day trip from Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.