Travel pass advice / Swiss Travel Pass on EC train

Travel pass advice / Swiss Travel Pass on EC train

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
danielkop
danielkop
3 posts
May 14, 2017 - 5:10 AM

Hi Everyone! Thank you in advance for your help.

I am having a hard time choosing what pass to buy to get around Swizerland. Here is our prelim itinerary.

1 Night in Zurich, 2 Nights in Lucerne, 3 Nights is Grindewald, and 3 Nights in Montreux. From montreux we are going to Milan 1 night and 2 nights in Lake Como.

Day Trips --

Rigi and Pilatus from Lucerne,

Jungfrau, Wengen, Gimmelwald, Schilthorn and surrounding towns from Grindenwald

Montreux trips are still TBD (any suggestions?) - - Thinking of going Gruyere, Lousanne, Veyvey, and maybe go to the french side for a bit.

I think I should get the 8 day rail pass with the 2 day promo for 10 days of travel? Is that the best option?

Also we want to the EC train to Milan from Montreux. Is the Swiss portion covered? How do i buy the rest of the way?

All help is much appreciated!

Arno
Arno
11133 posts
expert &
May 14, 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hi Danielkop, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, I agree that the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is your best option. Especially now with the promotion as that means it covers your whole trip within Switzerland. Further details and the fine print are here: www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html.

Everything on your list is included for free, apart from Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. Those trips are partly free and partly discounted by 25 and 50%. You can even reach Chamonix-Mont Blanc in France for free if you like.

The Swiss portion (until Domodossola) of the Montreux to Milan ride is covered too. You can book the ticket like this:

1. After adding the pass to your shopping cart, go to www.raileurope.com/us/ rail/point_to_point/tr iprequest.htm.
  2. Enter Montreux to Milan and your travel date. I'd recommend to pick 8:00 AM as the departure time so it will show the direct 8:36 AM train to Milan.
  3. Select Yes for "Are you traveling with a rail pass?", and select the Swiss Travel Pass.
  4. Fill out the other details, and it should now allow you to book the direct train for $28 per person.

One more important note: as you can see when you go through the above process, the ticket does not include a seat reservation. Normally it does but I've seen more issues with trains to Italy recently. You can either wait a bit and book later if your trip is not anytime soon. The other option is to book the ticket online, and buy the seat reservation locally in Switzerland as soon as possible (so in Zurich).

Last modified on Oct 27, 2017 - 3:47 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018