Travel pass advice / Swiss Travel Pass on EC train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 5:10:53 #811815

Hi Everyone! Thank you in advance for your help.

I am having a hard time choosing what pass to buy to get around Swizerland. Here is our prelim itinerary.

1 Night in Zurich, 2 Nights in Lucerne, 3 Nights is Grindewald, and 3 Nights in Montreux. From montreux we are going to Milan 1 night and 2 nights in Lake Como.

Day Trips —

Rigi and Pilatus from Lucerne,

Jungfrau, Wengen, Gimmelwald, Schilthorn and surrounding towns from Grindenwald

Montreux trips are still TBD (any suggestions?) – – Thinking of going Gruyere, Lousanne, Veyvey, and maybe go to the french side for a bit.

I think I should get the 8 day rail pass with the 2 day promo for 10 days of travel? Is that the best option?

Also we want to the EC train to Milan from Montreux. Is the Swiss portion covered? How do i buy the rest of the way?

All help is much appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 May 2017 at 10:41:46 #863269

Hi Danielkop, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, I agree that the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is your best option. Especially now with the promotion as that means it covers your whole trip within Switzerland. Further details and the fine print are here: http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html.

Everything on your list is included for free, apart from Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. Those trips are partly free and partly discounted by 25 and 50%. You can even reach Chamonix-Mont Blanc in France for free if you like.

The Swiss portion (until Domodossola) of the Montreux to Milan ride is covered too. You can book the ticket like this:

1. After adding the pass to your shopping cart, go to http://www.raileurope.com/us/ rail/point_to_point/tr iprequest.htm.
    2. Enter Montreux to Milan and your travel date. I’d recommend to pick 8:00 AM as the departure time so it will show the direct 8:36 AM train to Milan.
    3. Select Yes for “Are you traveling with a rail pass?”, and select the Swiss Travel Pass.
    4. Fill out the other details, and it should now allow you to book the direct train for $28 per person.

One more important note: as you can see when you go through the above process, the ticket does not include a seat reservation. Normally it does but I’ve seen more issues with trains to Italy recently. You can either wait a bit and book later if your trip is not anytime soon. The other option is to book the ticket online, and buy the seat reservation locally in Switzerland as soon as possible (so in Zurich).

• The thread ‘Travel pass advice / Swiss Travel Pass on EC train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.