Travel pass for 3 weeks, base in Zurich

• Moka
    Participant
    9 posts
    24 July 2021 at 11:01:15 #825961

Our current plans: My husband and I are retired seniors and will be coming from Venice (train) and then taking the Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur. We will then head to Ruschlikon, outside of Zurich, for 3 weeks. During that time we can take day trips but need to be home at night. We would love to go to Rigi and Jungfrau and any other places you can recommend for day trips. Zurich as well….we don’t know much about the area yet. Maybe the ferry on the lake?. We won’t go out everyday but perhaps 3- 4x a week or so. The question is what pass for us to get for the rail/bus/ferry system? And if the half price Swiss pass is best then how to use it to our best budget advantage? We have spent two days sorting through the Internet and it’s as clear as mud and we’re as confused as ever! Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Help! We’re leaving the beginning of August! 😩🤪

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    24 July 2021 at 11:59:17 #935818

Hi Moka,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

As you will be based in Zurich for 3 weeks and plan to do mostly day trips, I think the Swiss Half Fare Card may work best.. The SHFC is valid for a month. With the SHFC you pay only 50% of regular ticket prices (for trains, buses, boats and cable cars in Switzerland). You’ll also be eligible for further discounts on Supersaver tickets, Saver Day Pass and 1-day travelpass, which are recommended for long distance travel.

Below are some links that may be useful:

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 July 2021 at 14:39:20 #935819

Hi Moka,

Anna’s option is a good one to consider but make sure to take a look at the Swiss Travel Pass Flex too. You’ll have less separate tickets to buy because many trips are included. The trip to Rigi is completely included, for example, no further tickets required. The pass is 25% discounted if you buy it this month.

Please see:

For things to do, please see:

It’s great to have 3 weeks to explore. Enjoy your stay!

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    25 July 2021 at 5:12:46 #935820

Swiss half fare card can be a good option. Also 15 days swiss flex pass can be also considered

I am suggesting without asking but I feel you can have 3 bases instead of Zurich- Lauterbrunnen, lucerne and montreux for one week each. Swiss villages / towns are more charming than cities

If you stay in these places, day trips will be very convenient. I stayed in Interlaken for a week in our 8 days swiss trip but it would have been better if we would have stayed in Interlaken and lucerne considering my day trip plans

Moka
    Participant
    9 posts
    25 July 2021 at 5:59:47 #935821

Great to know! Also, what are the prices of using the bus system in Zurich? Do we have to buy new tickets to use daily? Can they be used for a full day or an allotted amount of time? And are there museum discounts included in the half fare pass? Thank you Anna!!

Moka
    Participant
    9 posts
    25 July 2021 at 6:45:40 #935822

And one more question….how much is a bus ticket when inside Zurich and would we get half off that price with a Swiss half fare pass? Thanks!!!

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 July 2021 at 8:50:33 #935823

Hi Moka,

The transport system in Switzerland is “integrated”. That means that you don’t buy a bus ticket, but a transportation ticket. Any mode of transport is included. In Zurich they work with a zone system: you’d buy a ticket for one or more zones (areas), and then you’ll be able to travel as much as you want within that area for the time indicated on the ticket (a few hours, a day, a month, etc.). You’ll find all details here: http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/home.html.

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex includes all transport in Zurich and many museums. The Swiss Half Fare Card does not include museums, and gets you a discount on almost all tickets in Switzerland. Usually it’s 50% off, it can also be a little less like in Zurich where I think it’s around 40%. Please find all details here:

Note that Zurich is a relatively small city, and Rüschlikon is tiny. You may not need transportation everyday as things might be at walking distance.

• The thread ‘Travel pass for 3 weeks, base in Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.