Travel pass for 6 days Zurich, Interlaken, Lucerne

• Geoffreynco
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 November 2022 at 11:19:43 #828590

Good day fellow travellers…my wife and I are planning to visit Switzerland for the very first time this coming march and we have allotted 6 days. My initial plan is on day 1 we arrive in Zurich before lunch then proceed to interlaken and stay there for 4 nights, we want to explore the Jungrau region for 3 full days, on the 5th day my plan is to travel to Lucerne for the day and stay overnight before proceeding to Zurich for a day tour before proceeding to Milan. Is it correct and wise that I purchase the half fare card and top of the europe pass? A day each in Lucerne and Zurich ought to be enough? I can squeeze another day if you have any wonderful suggestions. Thank you very much for your time in answering my query. Safe travels to everyone!!!

Geoffrey

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    4 November 2022 at 18:37:33 #948135

Hi Geoffrey,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. Based on your plans, combining the Swiss Half Fare Card and the Top of Europe Pass is sensible. If you wish to calculate the cost accurately, please refer to this guide on how to choose a railpass: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

By the way a day in Zurich and Lucerne each is usually sufficient to explore each city. You can sightseeing recommendations from the following links:

Let us know if you need more info.

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2022 at 0:47:46 #948136

March is a bit late for full on ‘winter’ and a bit early for summer type activities. Without knowing your tourist preferences (hiking, no hiking, museums, no museums etc) , unless that time is fixed for some reason I recommend you check if March is the right time for what you want to do. For example in March you would miss out on the opportunity in the Berner Oberland region to travel on the fabulous historic Schynige Platte railway.

One day in ‘Luzern’ is not enough. I worry that you would see a glimpse of the huge Vierwaldtstattersee without being able to explore the whole ‘Lake Luzern’ area properly

Is Zurich worth a whol e day? – opinions vary.

Bear in mind that you can also travel Spiez – Milano and Luzern Milano on direct Eurocity trains

Geoffreynco
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 November 2022 at 2:24:06 #948137

Hi Anna, thank you very much for your response and providing links, much appreciated! Stay safe always.

Geoffreynco
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 November 2022 at 2:30:59 #948138

Hi 1960man, thank you very much for your resppnse. So march is not a good time to visit switzerland? How about early april during the easter break? My wife and I are not really hikers, maybe we’ll just try to hike a bit and enjoy the sights. Thank you for your inputs on Lucerne and Zurich as well.

Anna
    6362 posts
    5 November 2022 at 5:49:22 #948139

Hi Geoffrey,

Anytime is a good time to visit Switzerland. You just have to plan your trip carefully.

You can find helpful information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

Regards,

Anna

Geoffreynco
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 November 2022 at 7:26:50 #948140

Hi Anna, thank you again, appreciate all your help!

Geoffrey

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2022 at 19:34:20 #948141

Most of my non summer trips have been annual trip at Easter (my wife is a teacher in the UK so limited to school holidays). The later ‘Easter’ is the better for travel I think as things are more spring like. On our Esater visits we have often walked on paths at valley level or medium altitude. You do have to ‘hike’ to enjoy walking on Swiss walking paths if you choose level valley routes and villages or lower altitude rolling countryside like the Appenzell region

• The thread ‘Travel pass for 6 days Zurich, Interlaken, Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.