Which travel pass for 5 days in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2016 at 4:36:50 #808476

Hello Friends,

I am planning to travel to Switzerland for 5 days with my spouse and kid (1.5 years).

I will be staying at kandersteg for 2 days and Zermatt for 2 days and 1 day in Montreux and then travel to Paris from Montreux.

Please suggest me a suitable rail pass for my travel.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 February 2016 at 6:21:25 #848663

Welcome to MySwissAlps Flyhigh22!

The right choice depends on all of your trips combined, so including your transfer from the border/airport to Kandersteg, and day trips you intend to do. Once you have a list of all trips you can find the cheapest pass as explained here. At first glance, either a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card may suit your needs. Additionally you need a ticket to Paris.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2016 at 5:02:08 #848664

Dear Expert,

Thank you for your kind advice.

My itinerary is as below:

• Day 1: Interlakan + Day trip to Mount Titlis + Lausanne.
    • Day 2: Day trip to jungfrau. back to Interlakan.
    • Day 3. Interlakan to St. Moritz back to Interlakan.
    • Day 4: Interlakan to Zermatt (Zermatt sightseeing) + day trip to Matthorn glacier paradise or Zermatt to Saas Fee (back to Zermatt).
    • Day 5: Zermatt to Montreux (Montreux sightseeing). – depart to Paris

Kindly suggest if this looks good or shall I need to make some modifications.

Thank You.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 February 2016 at 8:20:46 #848665

Hi again,

Please note that the town is called Interlaken; that will help you find traveling times in the timetable. I’m not sure if I understand your plans. Your first said you would stay in Kandersteg. Did you change that to Interlaken? Anyway, day 1 is too much. If you skip Lausanne it’s doable. If you actually meant Lucerne it can be done if you start your day early. Day 3 is too much too: you’ll be spending 11 hours on trains and there won’t be time left for sightseeing. There’s plenty to do much closer to Interlaken (see the link please). Day 4 is doable, but without Saas-Fee.

I hope this was useful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2016 at 5:16:57 #848666

Dear Expert,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will be reaching Zurich on 22nd of April 2016 (~9 PM). Will be traveling from Zurich to Kandersteg same day.

I will be staying at Kandersteg for 5 days (22nd of April 2016 to 26th April 2016).

My itinerary is as below:

• Day 1: Kandersteg -> Interlaken + Day trip to Mount Titlis + Lucerne.
    • Day 2: Day trip to jungfraujoch . back to Kandersteg.
    • Day 3: Kandersteg -> Lauterbrunnen + Schilthorn + Grindelwald (if possible) -> Back to Kendersteg.
    • Day 4: Kandersteg-> Zermatt (Zermatt sightseeing) + day trip to Matthorn glacier paradise->back to Kendersteg.
    • Day 5: Kandersteg->Paris (27th April 2016)
    • 3 days in Paris (28th ~ 30th April 2016)
    • Paris -> India (1st May 2016)

I would like your suggestion in this itinerary. I am planning to take Swiss Half Fare Card on arrival to Zurich. I will be travelling with my spouse and my kid (1.5 years).

Thanks and Regards

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 March 2016 at 7:39:46 #848667

Hi Flyhigh22,

Kandersteg isn’t the best base town for the trips you have in mind, as it’s not located that centrally. Especially for day 1, this will result in a long traveling day. But as Arno mentioned, you should check the timetable to find traveling times and decide for yourself if you think they’re acceptable. On one of the days, you may want to focus on the Kandersteg region instead of making trips to regions that are further off. Lake Thun and Niesen would be good options.

The Swiss Half Fare Card seems to be a good choice for your trips. I’d advise to buy it online beforehand through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, rather than in Zurich. Prices are equal to those in Switzerland (please see our "Price" section). You can pick “Online ticket” when asked for delivery options and print your passes at home without any additional handling or shipping fees. You won’t need to validate this pass once it’s printed, so you can start using it right after arrival and you’ll avoid waiting time at the ticket desks at the airport.

• The thread ‘Which travel pass for 5 days in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.