Travel tips โ€“ Flying to Zurich from Southwest US

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 6:22:56 #816317

Dear All, I am travelling with my kiddos & DH from Southwest US into Zurich and had a few questions of you frequent travelers & locals ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Given that where I live in US is about 13hrs behind Zurich and we will be taking 2 flights to get to Zurich which is close to 14/15 hr flight, I think it is only natural that we will have jet lag. How do you guys manage it ?

2. We need to store 2 of the 4 large suitcases (29 inches) for about a week, because taking them around switzerland doesnโ€™t seem to be a good idea. Thinking of using left luggage service at the airport. Am I on the right track here ?

3. We plan on buying the Swiss passes (with 2 added cards for our kiddos) at the Zurich main station. Is that a good idea or should we buy them online ahead of time ? Is the train ride from the airport to railway station free ?

4. On the onward train journey to Wengen we will be carrying 2 large suitcases & a couple of bagpacks. Is there an easy way to stow the luggage on train ? Also, the sbb website tells us that we need to switch 3 trains โ€“ how easy is to lug the luggage around between platforms ?

5. I am certain that kiddos will get hungry in the close to 3hr train ride .. do railway stations offer snacks, small meals ? If we were to sit n eat, is Bern a good station to do that ?

Thanks again guys !!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 7:51:03 #886799

Hi Ina,

1. It should be a 9 hour time difference โ€“ Hawaii is 12 hours if you mean that far SW in the states! ๐Ÿ™‚
      Still can be crappy jet lag. I use melatonin whenever the time zone change is more than 3 hours. Works well for me. Then I just donโ€™t plan too much the first day. Most flights from the West Coast of Canada/US arrive in the morning so you do have a full day to kill. Maybe a mountain trip to get some fresh air?
    2. Yes correct. For more details on Zurich airport look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/airports/zurich
    3. I think buying them online is the best choice. You can have them printed at home (emailed to you same day) and then you can just hop on the train at Zurich airport and get going. You also have an electronic back up to print again if you lose your copy. Look here for online retailers: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price The train from Zurich airport to Zurich main station is about 7chf
    4. There is a luggage rack in most carriages for larger suitcases. Backpacks or small luggage pieces can go above your seat or behind.
      It is pretty simple to switch trains in Switzerland with luggage โ€“ just look at your connection times on the timetable and find out which platforms you arrive and depart from to get an idea of where you are going. In smaller stations you may just be walking across the platform (10 feet). Zurich station has 40 odd tracks though and can be disorienting.
    5. You can buy food at kiosks or supermarkets (small or large) at most every station โ€“ or on the train itself (carry Swiss Franc as the credit card machine can be flaky). Bern station has a lot of food options if you want to stop for a bit. You are also right in the city centre so you could stop for lunch in town and wander around as well โ€“ nice city.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 5:58:06 #886800

Thanks a lot Lucas !! Extremely helpful responses : ) : ) ! I was worrying earlier but now I know ๐Ÿ™‚ !

• The thread โ€˜Travel tips โ€“ Flying to Zurich from Southwest USโ€™ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

Weโ€™re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annikaโ€™s 20-minute e-mail course, โ€œSwitzerland for beginnersโ€. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.