Zurich airport to Mt. Titlis planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 6:03:56 #814380

Hello,

I have chalked out this tentative schedule based on several threads and hope the steps are ok ? Your advise requested.

1. Arrival time at ZRH is 10:00am. Clear immigration, collect check in luggage and proceed to airport railway station ( should be here by 11:00 am?)
    2. Buy a 15 day pass at the airport railway station. I think I can start using this pass immediately ?
    3. Take a train to Zurich Main Station. Keep luggage in a locker room.
    4. Take a train to Engelberg.
    5. From here carry on the trip for the Mount Titlis.

Is this travel plan ok and do i have sufficient time in hand please

regards,

Avijit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2018 at 6:13:53 #876403

Hi avijit,

I would say it is much more convenient to buy the Swiss Travel Pass on-line and print at home before you leave (unless you want a Flex pass). No queues at station and you can carry backups.

Actually looking back at your earlier thread (http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/zurich-to-mount-titlis) I see that I questioned why you would need a 15 day pass given your plans.

From Zurich to Titlis will take you just under two and a half hours one way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 7:54:38 #876404

Hi Rockoyster,

there are some reasons which is preventing me from buying the pass online. But I am really having trouble in selecting the passes. For example, i checked the Tell Pass winter. it looks perfect and even if I buy it twice it suits the budget. But when i see the options at http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter/validity for travel to Rigi., it says Cableway from Weggis to Rigi Kaltbad: free but nothing about Rigi to Weggis, how do i come back ? The 15 day pass on the other hand looks to provide all options for Rigi free.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 February 2018 at 7:59:49 #876405

Hi avijit,

It’s about routes; the direction of travel does not matter. It’s fully covered, no worries.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 19:53:14 #876406

Hello Arno,

Thanks so much for the assurance. Finally I have freezed the Tell Pass Winter as my preferred pass, it makes more sense.

Now I have turned my attention to the weather, and it looks like ( from the live web cams) that all the places I want to go – Mount Pilates, Rigi and Titlis are too cloudy and i cannot see any people in the scene. The visibility is also poor. Is this how it may be even in March 1st week ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2018 at 23:28:17 #876407

Hi avijit,

It’s Switzerland, you can never be sure what the weather will do until the day before. Don’t be deterred by what you are seeing now. It might be bright sunlight on the day you travel to some of those places.

By the way you don’t have to go both ways on the Rigi cable way. You can go up one way by cog-wheel railway from Vitznau or Arth-Goldhau and down by cableway to Weggis. You can travel by boats, trains and cable cars or any permutation thereof. See http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi/gettingthere.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 8:46:39 #876408

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks and the travel plan is now more or less settled. One more thing as I mentioned above – I plan to buy the tell pass – winter at Zurich Central station. Can I start using it instantly to travel to Rigi / Titlis ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 9:02:58 #876409

Hi avijit,

Buy the Tell Pass at Zurich Airport station and save yourself the fare to get to Zurich Central. 😎

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 February 2018 at 13:20:31 #876410

Well, it should be for sale at the airport during opening hours of the train station, but price wise it doesn’t matter because the Tell-Pass does not cover the full trip to Lucerne. Only from Baar or Zug onwards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 13:35:16 #876411

Hi Arno, yes. I check now after i see your comment and there’s a map and it shows the tell pass applicability does not extend to Zurich railway station. In that case, what can be the most economic option of an up & down travel between Zurich – Lucerne ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 February 2018 at 14:02:27 #876412

Hi Avijit,

You can buy an additional ticket from the airport to Zug (or to Baar: slightly cheaper if your train happens to stop there). The train staff will know which ticket to sell you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 20:11:30 #876413

Sorry , my post about buying Tell Pass at Airport was misleading.

The real message I wanted to give was to pick a train that goes direct from the Airport to Lucerne and avoid a change and Pass buying in Zurich which is a very large and busy station.

• The thread ‘Zurich airport to Mt. Titlis planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.