Best way to travel to Interlaken from Paris

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 12:41:27 #815114

Hi, we would be entering Switzerland from Paris. Would wany to make interlaIntour base for 4 nights.

Pl suggest the best way to travel from Paris.

Thanks

Farida

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 14:18:03 #880749

Hi Farida,

Please read the information on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

You may want to reconsider Interlaken as your base. Places like Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Mürren are much nicer.

I don’t know what your exact plans are, but you may want to look into a rail pass.

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    3 April 2018 at 21:49:33 #880750

Hi Farida,

Hi from Paris you can travel to Geneva or Basel by French rail and from any of these stations you can use Swiss Rail. Check out Swiss transfer pass

I agree that you should choose better base. Perhaps one or two bases. I chose Zermatt village.

sundar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 6:07:18 #880751

Thanks Chantal.

This is what I have planned. PL suggest any changes.

Day.1 – Paris to either Interlaken or lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.

(Based on my itinerary PL suggest a base)

Take local stroll

Day.2 – Jungfraujoch

Day.3 – train to Geneva – Montreux and return. Preferably would like to take the Golden Pass line.

Day.4 – to Gstaad and visit Glacier 2000

Day.5- to lucern. Take a lake cruise. Overnight at lucern.

Day.6 – lucern to Mt.Titlis

Day.7 – lucern to Zurich to chur.

Overnight at chur. ( Should we space out 1day to travel to chur or can we leave early morning and catch Bernina express on day.7 itself so as to save a day) or do you suggest any other break journey.

Day.8 – Bernina express from chur at 8.32am BEX.

I have planned Jungfrau, Mt.Titlis and Glacier 2000. Is that fine. Should I include Schilthorn in place of any above.

Your advice highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Farida

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 6:58:55 #880752

Hi Farida,

1. I would look at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen – use the timetable to see what the travel times are like between those towns and where you want to go
    2. Gstaad and the Glacier 3000 are on the Golden Pass route to Montreux, so day 3 and 4 you are taking the same trip. I’d probably drop Geneva entirely.
    3. You’ll need to be quite close the Chur to catch the Bernina Express as departure is at 08:32 – see the timetable.
    4. I’d choose between Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch based on your current itinerary or drop Glacier 3000 and just do the golden pass to Gstaad, Montreux and maybe Geneva if you really want to see it on one day.
    5. If you buy the Swiss Travel Pass you get to go up Schilthorn for free so that may sway your decision as well.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 10:03:47 #880753

Thanks Lucas for a quick reply.

1. I would make my base as either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. Would Airbnb would be a better option?

2. Instead of Geneva city, what about the lake. is the lake in near vicinity?

3. If we drop Glacier 2000, and do Montreux, Geneva in one day. We have one day to plan.

Should be take a day trip to Zermatt, or any other picturesque village. Please suggest.

4. To catch Bernina express, we will have to take train from Lucern, either 5.28 am to reach Chur 7.43am, or 6.10am to reach Chur 8.22am.

5. We will take the Swiss Travel Pass. Can the pass be purchased at Basel train station?

Regards,

Farida

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 10:18:43 #880754

Thanks Sundar.

I will travel from Paris via Basel.

Can I buy Swiss Saver pass from Basel for 8 days?

Regards,

Farida

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 16:39:12 #880755
    1. Either really – not a huge difference in the end. Wengen is the most popular around here.
    2. You can see and take a cruise on Lake Geneva from Montreux yes.
    3. You could do Zermatt. or just spend the time on the mountains around Grindelwald – so much to do there…why leave? 🙂
    4. Yes. 🙁 But the 08:22 arrival should be fine.
    5. Yes, or you can buy it online with a company listed here. It is much easier and you will have an E-ticket backup in case you lose it (it is emailed to you for printing at home).

Please note you mean an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass (not Saver pass)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 11:30:32 #880756

Hi Lucas,

I am confused. I very much want to do Bernina express. Earlier we were traveling to italI but now we aren’t traveling there. Italy was on our map due to Tirano n berniBe express.

Pl advise how do I travel in one day from chur n return Zurich. Can I get a return train from Poschiavo?

From Zurich we fly out next day.

Rgds,

Farida

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 12:48:28 #880757

Hi Farida,

You could do that. Please use the Swiss timetable and fill in Chur to Zurich via Poschiavo. There are various options. Shortest trip is about 9 hours. If that’s too long you may want to travel via St. Moritz. Click on the trip in the timetable to see all the details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 14:30:13 #880758

Thanks Chantal.

Yes, I did check on bernina express chur to Zurich via Poschiavo.

Rgds,

Farida

• The thread ‘Best way to travel to Interlaken from Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.