Switzerland trip planning in May 2017

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 7:09:21 #810545

Dear Team,

Myself Nandakumar working and living in United Arab Emirates holding Indian passport.

Planning to visit Italy, Switzerland & Paris with myself, my wife and two child (age 11 and 4) during 3rd week of May 2017. To enjoy the city and the mountain tour to play around with snow in the mountain. Moreover to enjoy mountain trains. Kindly need your advice. Required to travel by train.

reaching Venice on 23rd Morning and staying two days in Venice.

required your advice on accommodation (walk to station) and train tickets (once enter switzerland to use the rail pass)

25th May 2017 from Venice to Lucernce by train (once reach switerland border to use swiss pass) – staying 2 nights

27th May 2017 morning from Lucernce to Interlaken by train – 2 nights in interlaken

29th May 2017 morning from Interlaken to Paris (france) by train –

Kindly suggest me accommodation near station and mountain trips and city tour.

Thanks & regards

Nandakumar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 8:06:11 #857925

Hi Nandakumar!

If you have the Swiss Travel Pass you will only need to buy a ticket from Venice to the Swiss border (the town of Chiasso for this trip). Please take a look here for a map on what areas the Swiss Travel Pass covers.

Here is a link on hotels we recommend in Luzern (German spelling). Some are as close as 6 minutes on foot to the train station. Also, here is a link on activities you can enjoy in and around Luzern that includes mountain trips for you. On the list you an read about Mt. Rigi and Pilatus which both offer scenic cogwheel trains up the mountains and Mt. Titlis offers a gondola you can take up the mountain for a more extreme view of the area! Titlis may off you the best chance for snow and mountain views year-round as is the highest peak. Do keep in mind weather conditions can vary a lot on a daily basis so your choice on where to go may be decided for you once you are in Luzern.

Again here are some great hotels for you in Interlaken. Some are within just a few minutes of the train station.

From Interlaken the most popular option is the Jungfrau region and Jungfraujoch. Again keep in mind weather conditions when deciding on this trip.

Once you have had a chance to read through the pages above to see what interests you please let us know if you need any further help or recommendations!

All the best,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 8:39:06 #857926

Dear Lucas

Appreciated your immediate reply. Very nice. Just your view, is it good time to travel in May 3rd week. (of course weather matters) with kids (11 & 4) to enjoy the trip. Mainly kids wants some snow to play with and one or two train trip to mountain..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 11:38:53 #857927

Hi Lucas

Just need your suggestion…

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 January 2017 at 12:21:27 #857928

Hi kvnandu,

Please be patient. All questions at our forum receive answers within 1 or 2 days, but it can’t always happen within a couple of hours :-)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 16:37:01 #857929

Hi Kvnandu! Don’t worry I was planning on replying prior to your trip in May 😉

You will definitely see snow if you take any of the trips up to one of the mountains I mentioned in my first post. The higher you go the better. Taking the cogwheel train from Interlaken (see me link on first post) is probably your best bet to combine a scenic train ride, mountains and snow.

Of course I can’t guarantee how much snow will be around anywhere for your kids to play on. It can also be foggy and spoil the view depending on the weather that day (see my previous link on weather conditions). Mt. Titlis is also very high up and is another good option for your search to play in the snow in May.

A good time to travel for snow is now. 🙂 we are getting quite a bit of snow today in Zurich!

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 17:57:30 #857930

Thank Lucas

1.In our tour where we will use Scenic train. If not your suggestion.

2. Your suggestion for 1st class or 2nd class swiss travel pass

Best regards

Nandakumar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2017 at 8:39:48 #857931

Hi kvnandu,

1. If you click on my links on the 1st reply for Mt. Rigi and Pilatus you will see both offer scenic cogwheel trains to get to the top of the mountain.

2. I would suggest 2nd class. 1st class is very similar seats and windows except it is quieter with less people (because fewer people pay the extra money for it). You can always upgrade specific train trips to 1st class if you choose. Details on this and other information can be found here.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2017 at 9:14:12 #857932

Thanks Lucas..

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip planning in May 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.