Travel via Bernina or Palm Express Postbus

• Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    16 October 2022 at 17:49:11 #828521

Hello, everyone.

I’m planning a trip for September 2023. We’re planning to take all or part of the Bernina Express route departing from Chur. We’d then like to take the appropriate Post Bus either from Tirano or Soglio to Menaggio, Italy and get off there for one day, then resume the Palm Express to Lugano the next. Question: sometimes traveling with luggage can be troublesome on full Post Busses. There will be four of us, each with a 21″ case and a backpack. Anyone know how crowded these busses are in September? Or should we send our luggage ahead to Lugano from St. Moritz? I know reservations are required for the Palm Express–I’m having a bit of trouble finding info on the Bernina Express Post Bus from Tirano to Lugano. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Laura E.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2022 at 23:47:35 #947833

You have to reserve a seat in the Bernina Express bus from Tirano to Lugano, but it is the official once-a-day connection to the main Bernina Express through service from Chur, and the expect passengers to have main luggage with them in many cases. Post buses have more than enough luggage capacity for the number of passengers with booked seats

Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    17 October 2022 at 2:28:53 #947834

Thank you, 1960man.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    17 October 2022 at 13:55:55 #947835

Personally, I’d forward my luggage to Lugano. Since you are taking a little side trip for a day, it will allow you to move about more freely. I used the luggage forwarding service several times this past June (as well as on previous trips in Switzerland) and it is so much easier to hop on and off trains, buses, and boats especially if you have a complicated itinerary or multiple connections. I think it would be well worth it if your group can pack what you need in your daypacks for the time you’ll be traveling between Chur and when you will arrive in Lugano.

Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    17 October 2022 at 22:35:45 #947836

Thanks, Lastlook. That’s what we’re thinking but wanted to check on all of our options. We did that two years ago when we dipped down to Lake Como for 2 days. It worked, especially once we were able to unload our backpacks in our Agriturismo that hot day! 🙂

Laura E

• The thread ‘Travel via Bernina or Palm Express Postbus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.