6 days train travel where in Switzerland to base?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 3:40:09 #812284

Hi,

I’ve just joined the forum and will be spending 5-6 days (early Sept) in Switzerland.

Im looking at travelling to Switzerland from Paris and want to visit several places, lakes and mountains. Would you recommend:

1. Where to base from? I would like to visit Interlaken, Jungfrau, Mt Titlis Mt Blanc. As I will be coming from Paris, would it be convenient to take train to Interlaken? Or is it better to base in the city like Geneva or (town ) Lucerne?

2. Are hotels expensive in Interlaken? Any recommendations?

3. Which train pass is best within Switzerland?

4. I will be returning to Paris for my return flight back to Singapore. Which pass is good to get?

5. Would joining a day tour be better Option ?

6. Is the weather still warm enough ?

Thanks for your advice.

Katt

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 5:06:50 #865187

1) have a base at lucerne

2) take a train to basel from paris in morning. thats a three hour journey. Then take a train from basel to luzern.

3) luzern is more scenic in comparison to interlaken, you get all type of accommodation everywhere, but if you are travelling by train it is advisable to book a hotel near train stations

4) swiss travel pass is best for travel within swiss

5) once you have swiss travel pass there is no need of joining any tour

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 5:33:37 #865188

Thanks for replying.

Can you pls recommend website to buy the “swiss travel pass”? How far is the train journey from Basel to Luzern?

So day trips are convenient to do out of Luzern?

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 June 2017 at 9:51:25 #865189

Hi Katt,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Basel to Luzern is about an hour. Websites to buy the Swiss Travel Pass from are listed here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

You can learn all about Luzern here: myswissalps.com/ lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 14:00:33 #865190

Hi everyone,

I’m travelling to Switzeralnd too, early-mid september. By car, but will get a 6 day regional pass for the Berner Oberland region. Useless to point out that we’ll have full 6 days of travelling inside the area (Jungfraujoch, Niesen, Oeschinensee, Schilthorn, etc) and still miss a lot of mountains and lakes (and glaciers and waterfalls…!), and this ONLY in that area… 🙂

Also, the car will take a well deserved rest for 5-6 days in a row!

Long story short, it’s worth accomodating in the area (e-domizil.ch), purchasing a regional pass and travelling to Luzern for a day – this type of pass includes free train travel from Bern to Luzern, connections not more than 1/2 hour in-between.

Honestly, this area has more lot to offer in comparison to Luzern (not speaking about Interlaken only)

Have a good trip Kattkkym.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2017 at 22:38:46 #865191

Hi kattkkym-

<<“So day trips are convenient to do out of Luzern?”>>

The timetable-

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and a map-

map.search.ch/?pos=668808,212504&z=32

will help you understand that … A day trip to Bern or Basel or Zürich or other parts of central and eastern Switzerland are convenient. And, there are frequent trains between the major cities. Service on the local lines runs at least once per hour, but if you are trying to visit the countryside, the scheduling can become time consumimng, because of the many stops on the local trains.

At the zoom level I have selected in the map as I linked it, you can see the train lines.

Also, in the menus, under Points of Interest/Traffic, you can turn on a layer with transport stations.

But, if you want to go all the way to Jungfraujoch from Luzern, the local mountain trains at the latter part (after Interlaken Ost) of the journey add quite a lot of time.

When yo use the timetable, just remeber that it defaults to the fastest route. if you want to take some of the more scenic routes, which are slower, you need to use the “via” option and put in an intermedite staion on your desired route. That is why the map is helpful, when you are choosing the route that you prefer.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 16:24:00 #865192

You can buy the travel pass at the train station also, very convenient.

Luzern is a better place to stay to do various trips.

Better to plan the visit to mountains, villages, small towns and lakes compared to the Cities. I went to Bern last week from Luzern and very much disappointed.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 June 2017 at 16:52:18 #865193

Hi Ravi-

To each his own.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 2:07:10 #865194

Like those pictures Slowpoke! Especially that last one of dusk in winter – really beautiful.

We like Bern too – always make sure we go at least once on each trip.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2017 at 7:45:44 #865195

Hi Maggie –

<<“Like those pictures Slowpoke! “>>

Thanks. I always enjoy the walk down to the Nydeggbrücke through the arcaded streets. Then, as you can see, I like to go up to the Rosegarden.

On my trip this past May, the Brasserie Bärengraben by the bridge did not have a table for me ….they can be busy, especially on weekends. Their kitchen in this very small restaurant has been excellent and sophisticated over the years, and I try to time my visits to get there at a non-peak time.

Anyway, I ate at das Altes Tramdepot, across the street. The view from the terrace is quite pleasant, the food is a bit less sophisticated, but of good quality.

I have not explored it yet, but there is a lot of history in the Matten – the low lying area by the river below the Nydegg bridge. A friend in Geneva spent some of his formative years there with his grandparents. They have their own dialect; the few words he remembered don’t resemble any Swiss German that I have heard, although I’m no expert. Although it is certainly not English, the name is Mattenenglisch.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Mattenenglisch

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2017 at 8:15:07 #865196

Hi tutor-

I certainly share your opinion about the beauty, size and variety of the Jungfrau region and the Bernese Oberland. The high Alpine countryside is beautiful and really accessible by public transport.

(By the way, the last time I parked at Lauterbrunnen, the rates were much higher than I remember from many past visits. As I entered, I was directed toward a short term parking area after being asked how long I would stay ( overnight). Maybe that had something to do with it. That garage in the past has been a bargain….many people do leave their cars there for days, as you plan to do. But, at the rate that I paid, it would be terribly expensive. Sorry, i don’t remember the exact numbers. I’m still trying to figure that one out, and will get a better understanding when I visit Wengen in September.)

That said, our experience with Luzern and the area surrounding the lake has been very rewarding. There is a substantial Altstadt. Compared to the towns in the Bernese Oberland, Luzern is much more sophisticated. The Ro0sengart Collection, 3 minutes from the main station, has a chronologically displayed collection ofaover 100 Klees, and that museum, plus a small one in theold town, are terrific for Picasso paintings.

The scenery around the lake is quite beautiful, in a different way from the Jungfrau region, Some is visible in these threads:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-hammetschwand-lift

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/walk-combining-trip-on-lake-lucerne

Pilatus is pretty spectacular. The cograilway is an impressive piece of engineering and a spectacular ride.

The Swiss Federation began in the cantons around the lake. if you are interested in some of that history, a visit to Schwyz is enjoyable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/schwyz-and-the-ital-reding-house

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 13:28:28 #865197

Hi All,

Thanks for your tips and suggestions.

As I’ll be arriving from Paris to Lucerne via Basel, is there a ticket/pass that incorporates that part of the journey too with the Swiss internal travel? Or do I need to get One ticket for the first leg and then another for within Switzerland travel?

My friend just came back from Switzerland and he bought a “Tell Pass” but I didn’t see that on the list, unless he’s just shorten the pass name !! It’s a 4 days pass.

Which pass is best for visiting Titlis, Engberg, Stanterhorn, Pilatus and Interlaken? Does the pass include Ice Flyer, entry fees (if any) and other transports?

Thanks again

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 June 2017 at 15:30:30 #865198

Hi Katt,

The regional pass link in Tutor’s post gets you to all details of the Tell-Pass as well. That pass covers everything on your list but not Paris to Lucerne. You can buy a ticket for that separately. Be sure to study the Tell-Pass map so you know what is included (nothing beyond Interlaken for example).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 5:25:14 #865199

Hi Slowpoke,

We’ll stay in Frutigen, parking at the accomodation. 🙂 So no need for us to leave the car in any paid parking.

Taking the bus to the railway station depending on the schedule or directly the train. 15 minutes walk from the house to the train or some 7-8 minutes to the nearest bus station. It will be a well-deserved walk every day first thing in the morning (AFTER the coffee) and last thing in the evening …

Wish you all a peaceful week.

Daniel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 13:40:39 #865200

Hi Arno,

Thanks, yes I saw that after reading your message. Is the pass strictly for the days we stipulated to travel to the various destinations? Or is it a 4 day pass allowing travellers to choose on the day where they wish to visit and basically needs to be used within 4 days?

Is it worth to do a couple days in Jungfrau region as suggested by Tutor and then head to Lucern for a couple of days? If so, what pass would you suggest to provide internal travel within Switzerland? I did read a post recently on this forum that the Swiss Rail Pass is extremely pricey and the benefits does not weigh up to the cost (unfortunately). I will be departing from Zurich back to Singapore, so need to factor train fare for that leg also.

Originally I wanted to see Mont Blanc but read that it needs to be via Geneva (as I’ll be departing from Paris); hence alittle out of reach…

I have been to Bern before and that was more than 10 yrs ago. So would like to visit other places / cities to soak up all the Swiss landscape, lakes and nature 🙂

Cheers, Katt

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2017 at 14:24:02 #865201

Hi Tutor-

<<“We’ll stay in Frutigen, parking at the accomodation. 🙂 So no need for us to leave the car in any paid parking. “>>

This walk may interest you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 June 2017 at 15:48:34 #865202

Hi Katt,

The Tell-Pass comes with 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10 consecutive days of travel. Please see myswissalps.com/tellpa ss/howtouse for details.

By Swiss Rail Pass you mean the Swiss Travel Pass, right? It’s only extremely price if you don’t use it to its full potential 🙂 It includes unlimited rides on trains, buses, boats and free entrance to many museums. Also it offers discounts on many cable cars/cogwheel trains, and some are even free (see the map). You can save a lot with this pass, but it depends on what you plan to do with it. If you also stay in the Jungfrau region a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau Travel Pass might be worth it. But that would be in addition to the Tell-Pass. In most cases buying two passes is not economical. Buying one Swiss Travel Pass for the entire trip is simpler and cheaper.

You first need an itinerary, then pick as pass that fits your plan as explained here.

I agree that the Mt. Blanc is out of reach considering your time frame and wish list. You would need to stay a few days in the Lake Geneva area or in France to cover that too. Some other time perhaps 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 11:48:11 #865203

Is it a rt time to visit switzerland in september last week ?

I would like to be and experience snow than than the greenery . If yes pl mention the places to go other than mt titlis and jungfroah .I have visited these two mt.a fairly more no of times .

This time also i have booked for mt titlis .can u suggest something else for 2 days and 2 nts while going bac to paris to catch my flg .

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 June 2017 at 12:39:08 #865204

Welcome back Anilcec! This is Katt’s thread. You’d better post your questions in a new thread. That way you’ll get more and better feedback.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2017 at 14:11:09 #865205

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your advice.

Post my last update here, I have further revised my itinerary (though still in the works !:)… Below is a guide of the itinerary:

Thursday 31/8/17 Paris to Lucerne via Basel

Friday 1/9/2017 Lucerne – Engelberg (single) (BASE in Lucerne)

Engelberg – Titlis (single)

Titlus – walk the suspension bridge (free?)

Titlus – Pilatus (single)

Pilatus – Lucerne (single)

(I will do some short hikes in between stops etc, but have not decided which routes)

Saturday 2/9/2017 Rigi Majestic Round Trip (Lucerne) ( does this require a full day? If not maybe I can depart for Interlaken later in the day?)

Sunday 3/9/2017 Lucerne – Interlaken Ost via Golden Pass (single) BASE Interlaken

Monday 4/9/2017 Interlaken Ost – Wengen (single)

Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald (single)

Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost (single)

Thursday 7/9/2017 Interlaken Ost – Zermatt (return)

Zermatt to Matterhorn (return)

Friday 8/9/17 Interlaken Ost – Zurich via Lucerne?

Some questions:

1. Can you please advise if the above is practical and doable?

2. I believe from Interlaken, I can travel by train to Zermatt for a day trip? Is this correct? I want to see the Matterhorn :). How do I do this? I tried reading some post, but got rather confused. Is it a direct train ride, how long is it? I believe some hiking is required or take cable/train?

3. I will be departing from Zurich airport back to Singapore on Sat evening (9th Sept). If I can do a day trip #2 above, then on Friday I can basically head to Zurich from Interlaken (would that be right?) And I will stay in Zurich for one and half days. I want to cover these two regions and have read and informed by friends/ppl from this post that both should not be missed.

Thank you again for all your help thus far, there’s still alot to work out such as timetable for trains/connections etc, however as I’m covering quite alot of grounds, I believe the Swiss Travel Pass will be most appropriate. Any other tips and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Katt

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 June 2017 at 19:03:20 #865206

Hi Katt-

A quick look in the timetable will tell you how much time to allow for travel for each of the journeys that you have proposed, and let you know how early in the day you could leave. it will show that you can go to Titlis and Pilatus on the same day, and allow you to determine how much time you have available at Titlis. ( Please note the spelling.)It can also let you know the time for the last trains down from Jungfraujoch, as well as the choice of trains to Zermatt (your questions #2) . The fastest route to/from Zermatt will be presented by the timetable. Some people like to use the older, more scenic route (via Kandersteg) for at least one direction…it is about an hour slower.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

At Zermatt, you cannot go to the Matterhorn, but can view it from other locations accessible by train or cableway:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

it will also show you the options for the RT to the Rigi. It does not have to take a full day. You can arrange it to depart for Interlaken Ost on the 2nd after visiting the Rigi. The last direct train to IO from Luzern leaves at 2105.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘6 days train travel where in Switzerland to base?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.