6 days train travel where in Switzerland to base?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 June 2017 at 19:03:20 #865206

Hi Katt-

A quick look in the timetable will tell you how much time to allow for travel for each of the journeys that you have proposed, and let you know how early in the day you could leave. it will show that you can go to Titlis and Pilatus on the same day, and allow you to determine how much time you have available at Titlis. ( Please note the spelling.)It can also let you know the time for the last trains down from Jungfraujoch, as well as the choice of trains to Zermatt (your questions #2) . The fastest route to/from Zermatt will be presented by the timetable. Some people like to use the older, more scenic route (via Kandersteg) for at least one direction…it is about an hour slower.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

At Zermatt, you cannot go to the Matterhorn, but can view it from other locations accessible by train or cableway:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

it will also show you the options for the RT to the Rigi. It does not have to take a full day. You can arrange it to depart for Interlaken Ost on the 2nd after visiting the Rigi. The last direct train to IO from Luzern leaves at 2105.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 10:10:38 #865207

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for your response. Since my last post, I have made some changes and will now be based in Interlaken instead of Lucerne. Sorry for the changes, there were so much to see and so little time, so decided to pick the best of the best to see first 🙂

I will buy a Swiss Travel Pass however, looks like my itinerary is 5 days instead of 4:

4/9/2017 Day 1: Travel from Paris Gare de Lyon to Interlaken via Basel (I read there is a Swiss transfer ticket I can purchase for the Basel to Interlaken/within Swiss travel). If I do this, then I can use my Swiss Travel Pass from Day 2 instead for the longer ride from Zermatt to Zurich. Can you please advise if this is the best way and where to purchase the transfer ticket?

Day 1: if time permit take Boat ride on Lake Thurn (return Free with Swiss Pass)

5/9/2017 Day 2: Interlaken Ost (BOB train) to Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe)

Day 2: Interlaken Ost to Kleine Scheidegg via Grindelwald (sit on left hand side for best views) (single) Free with Swiss Pass

Day 2: Kleine Scheidegg (change here) to Jungfraujoch; stops at Eigerwand and Eismeer; can get off train for few minutes. (Return) (cogwheel train 25% off with Swiss Pass)

Day 2: Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen (train single) (Free with Swiss Pass)

Day 2: Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost (single) (Free with Swiss Pass)

6/9/2017 Day 3: Interlaken Ost to Zermatt via Spiez, Kanderstag and Goppenstein. Stay in Zermatt as base for 2 nights. (single)

7/9/2017 Day 4: Zermatt to Gornergrat (Matterhorn) return with 50% Swiss Pass

8/9/2017 Day 5: Morning train from Zermatt to Zurich HB (is this the correct station as I noticed many names and not sure which to select) (Free on Swiss Pass). Can I take this journey on the Golden Pass by any chance? I read up but doesn’t really specify, though I know that can be done to Lucerne… (Single, Free with Swiss Pass)

9/9/2017 Day 6: To Zurich Airport from Zurich CBD (what’s the best way to get to the airport? Need to get a single ticket to airport.

Homeward bound and had a ball in Switzerland 🙂

Other questions:

1. I used SBB site to check the times/ticket prices for travel within Switzerland; however as I’m departing in Sept, many a times nothing returns, so I cannot confirm which time to select etc. Can you please advise?

2. Where is it convenient to stay in Zurich to enable easy access for train to airport?

3. I read from other threads there isn’t a need to reserve seating on internal Swiss train travel, unless taking the Golden Pass routes, is that correct?

I would really appreciate if you can confirm if the above itinerary is ok, as I will be travelling solo and want to iron out as much uncertainty as possible before my trip. If there ‘s a better way, please advise 🙂

Many many thanks and I must say this forum is fantastic.

Cheers, Katt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2017 at 10:51:55 #865208

Hi Katt,

For Day 1: You can use the Swiss Transfer Ticket for this section yes. Have you already bought the Swiss Travel Pass though? If you have and you have also selected the dates for the pass than you can’t change it (to start the pass on your “day 2”).

Day 5: Zurich HB is the main station and the one you would want yes.

The Golden Pass runs from Montreux to Luzern – so if you take a train from Zermatt to Montreux you could do this trip (a long day though).

Day 6: What is Zurich CBD? I’m not familiar with that term. A 3 zone ticket from downtown Zurich (trains from Zurich HB are the fastest option or you can take a tram). The ticket is about 8CHF either way.

Question 1: You should have no issues getting times and prices for trains in September. Try using this link.
    Question 2: We have a list of hotels for Zurich here. Anything close to the main train station is good (Zurich HB)
    Question 3: Yes that is correct. Just Panoramic trains noted here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2017 at 14:58:43 #865209

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your response.

1. I checked the price for the Swiss Transfer Pass and doesn’t look cheap considering im only looking at using it for first leg of the journey between Basel to Interlaken. Would you suggest anything else? I haven’t checked the point to point ticket for this route as yet. I do know I can use it for the return journey also and this need not be the same as the first leg, but considering the ticket to airport us only CHF8, it’s still not worth it. Do you agree?

2. I haven’t bought any tickets/pass yet.

3. Sounds like my option to travel direct from Zermatt to Zurich is not direct as I thought. Would you suggest another way? if Zermatt is not the best way to head to Zurich, is it better that I return to Interlaken and then make my way to Zurich from there? Would be great if you can suggest alternative routes (most direct) and can compare the approx timeframe. If I need an extra day to make my return journey less tight then I can still do so. DON’T wanna miss my flight !!

4. CBD = Central Business Distict 🙂

Ok I will buy single ticket to airport. I had a look at the Zurich accommodations already, thanks. It’s useful.

5. Ok I will check the site/timetable again for Sept. I must be missing something !

6. With the trip fr Interlaken Ost to Zermatt, are there three transfers? I found that route somewhere on this forum however haven’t looked into it further besides stating it !

Is my itinerary reasonable for the 6 days in Bernese Oberland? Im curious why someone would buy both the Swiss Travel Pass and a regional pass, considering the aforementioned pass covers most of internal travel plus discounts. Would be keen to know.

Thank you , Katt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2017 at 17:27:29 #865210

Hi Katt,

1. Yes, I would just look at a point to point ticket for this instead.
    2. ok, then you are flexible. You only need 1-3 business days to order the Swiss Travel Pass online – wait until you are sure of your dates. 🙂
    3. You can see the most direct routes on the SBB timetable here – it always gives you the fastest option first. The quickest option it will give you is 3.5 hours and only 1 train change in Visp (usually) so it’s not too bad especially if you don’t go via Montreux and the Golden Pass.
    4. Ah 🙂
    5. Let us know if it doesn’t come up – it should!
    6. It is always 2 I believe. Use the SBB timetable in point 3 to check on your date of travel\

I don’t think too many people buying both the Swiss Travel Pass and a Regional Pass – but it can work in your favour depending on your itinerary. The Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland won’t cover you all the way to Zurich or Zermatt and between Basel and Luzern – so you have to buy extra tickets as well.

You can compare the costs on our page here (with the excel sheet) between a Swiss Travel Pass and the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland with the extra tickets you will need.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 2:13:45 #865211

Hi Lucas,

I managed to sort out the timetable for the trains in September. Thanks !

Currently, I’m trying to determine which pass (if any) is best for my trip and working the single trips to determine the costs.

1. On the excel s/s on this website, for the Jungfraujoch trip, I noticed this was stated: Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald (single). I’m wondering why it is stated as such?…I checked the time table on SBB the journey goes from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and then to Grindelwald then to Kleine Scheidegg before it goes to Jungfraujoch. Wouldn’t this be double the journey (takes over 2hrs)? Or is this working the return leg also? I have followed this to determine the cost of fare (pls refer below)

Or should I select the Wengen to Klein Scheidegg (single) to determine the cost and then another leg from Klein Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch (return) and then from Klein Scheidegg to Grindelwald (single).

2. Would you please confirm the journey from Zermatt to Zurich is covered under the Swiss Travel Pass? I checked on SBB and the first and fastest train is via Bern, and looking at the Swiss Travel Pass validity, I noticed the section from Visp to Bern is dotted red lines, so does this mean there’s no discount?

3. So far after inputting all the single fares onto the s/s, it appears I may be better off getting the point-to-point ticket. Below is my calculations using the excel s/s:

Full price w no discount!

Day 1 – Basel to Interlaken OST (single) 30.50

Day 2 – Interlaken Ost – Wengen (single) 14.40

Day 2 – Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald (single) 110.00

Day 2 – Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost (single) 11.40

Day 3 – Interlaken Ost – Zermatt (single) 41.50

Day 4 – Zermatt to Gornergrat (Matterhorn) (return) 94.00

Day 5 – Zermatt to Zurich HB (single) 63.00

Day 6 – Zurich HB to Zurich Airport (single) 6.80

Total Cost: CHF 371.60

Does the above appear correct?

4. If I then use the Swiss Travel Pass, it will cost me CHF259 plus the additional costs below:

Day 1 – Basel to Interlaken OST (single) 30.50 0% 30.50

Day 2 – Interlaken Ost – Wengen (single) 14.40 100% 0.00

Day 2 – Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald (single) 110.00 25% 82.50

Day 2 – Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost (single) 11.40 100% 0.00

Day 3 – Interlaken Ost – Zermatt (single) 41.50 100% 0.00

Day 4 – Zermatt to Gornergrat (Matterhorn) (return) 94.00 50% 47.00

Day 5 – Zermatt to Zurich HB 63.00 100% 0.00

Day 6 – Zurich HB to Zurich Airport 6.80 0% 6.80

Total cost: CHF425.80

Please let me know if anything above doesn’t appear right, as I thought for sure getting the Swiss Travel Pass was the way to go.

I think I’m almost there with my planning and things are beginning to fall into place (clarity also). Thank you so much again for everyone on this Forum who have assisted. Truly grateful 🙂

Best regards, Katt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 5:22:41 #865212

>> Full price w no discount!

Day 1 – Basel to Interlaken OST (single) 30.50*

Day 2 – Interlaken Ost – Wengen (single) 14.40 #

Day 2 – Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald (single) 110.00 #

Day 2 – Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost (single) 11.40 #

Day 3 – Interlaken Ost – Zermatt (single) 41.50*

Day 4 – Zermatt to Gornergrat (Matterhorn) (return) 94.00 OK

Day 5 – Zermatt to Zurich HB (single) 63.00*

Day 6 – Zurich HB to Zurich Airport (single) 6.80 OK

Total Cost: CHF 371.60

Does the above appear correct?

Unfortunately no!

1. The asterisked fares are half fares, not full fares.

2. The sectors marked with # should be reckoned as one round-trip ticket (Interlaken Ost-Wengen-Jungfraujoch-Grindelwald-Interlaken Ost), costing CHF 210.80. The fare of CHF 110 is for Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald, and doesn’t include the return trip between Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch.

The total cost is more like CHF 581.60 without the Swiss Travel Pass. With the Swiss Travel Pass, all travel is free except for:

> Wengen-Jungfraujoch-Grindelwald – 25% discount

> Gornergrat – 50% discount

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 9:09:34 #865213

Hi Katt,

I think Alpenrose corrected the ticket prices for you so I’ll just add that Zermatt to Zurich is certainly free with the Swiss Travel Pass (the dotted line indicates it is a tunnel only – refer to legend on top right of the PDF map).

Let us know if that all makes sense – it does get complicated sometimes/often! Even if prices are the same or even a little cheaper with point to point tickets (usually not the case) most people still buy the Swiss Travel Pass for sheer convenience – print at home before travel and just hop on your train and go 95% of the time!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 13:20:20 #865214

Thanks Alpenrose! Appreciate you pointing out my error and now I can comfortably go with the Swiss Travel Pass 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 13:24:51 #865215

Thanks Lucas for following up on my questions.

I am set ! Yay 🙂

Hopefully I won’t need to bug you guys again. And thank you so much for all your help.

Cheers, Katt

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘6 days train travel where in Switzerland to base?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.