11 day itinerary Switzerland in June-advise please

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2018 at 2:00:03 #813971

I am travelling to Switzerland in end of June with family using Swiss Travel pass (15 days). I learn that Swiss travel pass cover most of train/boat/bus/some cabe car so it is worth it my days and travel only by train/boat/bus/cable car.

Here is my tentative itinerary (hotel booked everywhere (cancelable) except Zermatt on day 9) so please advise if you think I should and should not do it. I am watching this Forum (nice advise)/you tube videos for few weeks and learned lot about places and how to get there but you never know until you are there. All hotels booking are near train station so we can walk and save time.

Day 1/2/3. Arrive in Zurich at 1:00 PM (coming from Iceland after 3 days stay so hopefully no jet leg) and go straight to Lucerne same day by train from Airport. Stay in Lucerne for three night.

trip a (day 1) – afternoon in town of Lucerne

trip a (day 2)- Mt. Pilatus by train-cable care, coming down by other side of mountain by cable car to Kriens-Lucerne

trip b (day 3)- Mt. Titlis – Lucerne – Engelberg (by train)- Mout Titlis (cable car)

Day 4/5/6. Leave Lucerne to Wengen (Lucerne-Interlaken express – Golden pass route) and stay for three days/night

trip a (day 4) check in hotel/drop-off luggage and go to Interlaken for evening

trip a (day 5) – Wengen- Lauterbrunnen-Jungfrau, way back from Grindelwald

trip b (day 6)- Wengen-Lauterbrunnen-Schilthorn, way back Trummelbach Falls and Lauterbrunnen

Day 7/8 – go to Bern and stay 2 nights

trip a (day 7) – spend 3/4 day in Bern

trip b (day 8)- go to Geneva for my 10th grade kid (cover CERN, UN, area near train station ) and come back at night in Bern

Day 9 – Go to Zermatt from Bern early morning, Go to Gornergrat by train, and spend rest of day in Zermatt ( stay overnight Zermatt)

Day 10 – Take Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur, and take another train to Zurich same day (relax overnight in Zurich)

Day 11 – Spend whole day/night in Zurich to cover old town and lake area

Day 12 – Fly back at 1:oo PM

I would really appreciate your help/advise/guide.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 January 2018 at 3:56:32 #873781

Hi Rakubha,

Looks pretty good to me.

Pilatus cable car and cogwheel railway is 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass. Same for Engelberg to Titlis. Jungfraujoch trip you only get 25% discount. Glacier Express requires reservation is not covered by Swiss Travel Pass (but actual ticket is).

See downloadable map on this page http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Is your child 16 or over? If so they will need a Youth STP. Otherwise you can get a free Swiss Family Card when you order your STPs.

Sounds like a great trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 20:48:17 #873782

Thank you so many people for their response in this forum as It make easy for tourist to do planning/ decision and save lots of money compare to vacation packages.

Couple of question:

1. Can someone let me know if I take Glaciar Express from Zermatt-Chur (to Zurich same day) instead of Zermatt-St. Moritz (to Zurich next day), what I will miss in last part? It is worth to go all the way to St. Moritz to just stay overnight as I have to go back to Zurich to spend one day befrore catch flight back home ?

2. should I stay in downtown Zurich or near airport (cheaper) and use train to go to downtown and spend whole day?

Thank you so many people for their response in this forum as It make easy for tourist to do planning/ decision and save lots of money compare to vacation packages.

Thank you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2018 at 21:18:51 #873783

1. Given what you will have already covered I would skip St Moritz.

2. Stay downtown.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 8:46:40 #873784

Hi Rakubha,

You can read a brief description of the route between Chur and St. Moritz here. If you like trains and scenery and like the idea of going across the Landwasser viaduct or the town of St. Moritz then it is tempting to do it…but I wouldn’t say it is a must-do.

See a pic of the landwasser viaduct attached.

• The thread ‘11 day itinerary Switzerland in June-advise please’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.