Car rental from Lugano & drop off Zurich airport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2017 at 9:32:07 #810713

Hello everyone…

We’ll visit Switzerland Italy France and Germany on june 2017 and we’ll land in Zurich airport. During in Switzerland we will travel by rail but we love to rent a car when we out from Switzerland. Our 1st plan is we’ll explore Switzerland for about 8 days and end our visit in Lugano ..rent a car from there and continue our journey to Italy-France-Germany/Austria. Can we return the car instead Lugano? We’ll back home from Zurich airport so we need to reach the nearest city to Zurich from the last place we visit.

Can you give us any solution?

Thank you and I appreciate for any suggestions

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 February 2017 at 11:41:24 #858633

Hi Lilik,

Sure, you can rent a car in Lugano and drop it off at the airport of Zurich. I’d recommend to have a look at http://www.easycar.com/car-hire/switzerland and uncheck the box “Return car to the same location”. You will see the options. In some cases the rental company charges a fee because you drop the car in a different location. The site will notify you of that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2017 at 12:36:32 #858634

Thank you Arno for the information, it’s very helpful. In fact we still have many questions in mind and I hope you can help us.

1. During in Switzerland we love to visit Lucern, Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Brienz, Zermatt, Heidyland, St. Moritz and enjoy the scenic train as well What’s your sugestion for our base town?

2. Is there any luggage storage in every rail station ? There’ll be 5 of us myself, my hubby, 17 years old son, 15 years old and 12 years old daughter…so there’ll be many luggages.

Looking forward for your answer

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 February 2017 at 8:13:03 #858635

Hi Lilik,

1. You need at least two bases to comfortably visit all those sites. For example: Interlaken as a base for Lucerne, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, Brienz and Zermatt. And Chur or another town in Graubünden for Heidiland and St. Moritz. One base would work if you limit yourself to day trips nearby. There is plenty to see in most regions. Be sure to check travel times before deciding. Some day trips will take pretty long.

2. There are lockers in larger train stations only. Some have a left luggage office. But I would assume you don’t need lockers as you don’t need much luggage on day trips. A light backpack will do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2017 at 8:28:12 #858636

Thank you arno for the information so we can decide where to stay for overnight. We’ll try to make our itinerary and may be still need your help for further information.

Once again…thank you so much😊

• The thread ‘Car rental from Lugano & drop off Zurich airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.