Traveling by train from Munich to Switzerland

Traveling by train from Munich to Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kweinheimer
Kweinheimer
8 posts
Feb 24, 2018 - 6:46 PM

To begin several days in Switzerland exploring the mountain regions and scenic trains, I want to travel by train from Munich into Switzerland.

Is this a recommended means of transpiration and can anybody recommend where to find more information on trains from Munich to Switzerland?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Feb 24, 2018 - 8:06 PM in reply to Kweinheimer

Hello Kweinheimer and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel to and within Switzerland. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Also see www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany. Cheap tickets may be available from www.bahn.com/en/view/i ndex.shtml to get from Munich to Switzerland.

A Swiss Travel Pass may suit you and will be effective from the border. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Lucas
Lucas
8928 posts
expert &
Feb 25, 2018 - 7:10 AM in reply to Kweinheimer

I would say travel in Europe and definitely in Switzerland is best experienced by train.

Munich is only 4-5 hours by train to Zurich but you'll want to keep going to Lucerne to start enjoying the Swiss mountain scenery. The Jungfrau Region is also a great area to explore.

For panoramic trains, there are4 popular options in Switzerland listed here for you to read about.

Last modified on Feb 25, 2018 - 8:52 AM by Arno
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Mar 18, 2018 - 9:07 AM in reply to Kweinheimer

>> I want to travel by train from Munich into Switzerland.

If you have enough time, a scenic route from München (Munich) to Zürich is via Innsbruck.

This trip takes about 5.75 hours, usually with one change at Kufstein or Innsbruck. There is some information about the scenery on this route in my post of May 15, 2016 - 6:16 AM on the following page:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/vienna-to-switzerland-where-to-go

Alpenrose

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018