From Interlaken to Paris with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 6:12:03 #817293

Hi:

I’m planning to buy Swiss Travel Pass for our family vacation in Switzerland this month. However, our return flight is from Paris. I see that there are either one or two connection trains from Interlaken to Paris that go from Interlaken to Basel to Paris or from Interlaken to Basel to Strasbourg to Paris in case of two connections. I understand that I need to buy ticket for Basel to Paris leg since that’s not covered by Swiss Travel Pass.

My question is trains from Interlaken to Basel are sometimes served by IC or EC or ICE. Do I need to buy tickets and make reservations for any of these trains considering I’ll have Swiss Travel Pass? I’m not too familiar with these train types.

Thanks for your help in advance.

A

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 16:28:34 #891528

Hi Asha and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No reservations or tickets are needed for you on the trains from Interlaken to Basel with the Swiss Travel Pass. The type of train doesn’t matter – only the route that you take and that route is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

You can buy your train tickets to Paris from Basel here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/fra nce

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 22:16:46 #891529

As long as you include the day that you will travel to Basel as part of the overall validity of your STP, you can use that to travel to Basel.

Book a separate TGV ticket Basel – Paris. Take any convenient inter city train Interlaken – Basel to arrive in good time for the the TGV departure from Basel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 22:21:04 #891530

By the way, don’t go via Strasbourg – it means an unnecessary extra change of train. Book a direct Basel – Paris Gare de Lyon TGV Lyria:

http://www.tgv-lyria.com/en/booking/t imetables-and-fares/routes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 4:15:04 #891531

Thank you all for confirming.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 23:19:30 #891532

By the way there is also a TGV to Paris direct from Bern (departs Bern 11.10)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 5:24:36 #891533

Thanks but I couldn’t find direct train from Bern to Paris. Checked on a few sites but I don’t see such a direct TGV. But managed to get a direct TGV from Basel to Paris.

• The thread ‘From Interlaken to Paris with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.