Traveling from Paris to Zermatt & Zermatt to Como

• Joey17
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 October 2022 at 14:44:49 #828532

Hi,

I have been trying to come up with a complete travel plan from Paris – Zermatt & Zermatt – Lake Como. My girlfriend and I are looking for the fastest way to get to Zermatt from Paris but also a scenic option as well? Do you recommend specific trains and or routes to take for this to be possible? Also, can you recommend the same for Zermatt – Lake Como. The fastest way to get there, also the most scenic options as well. I am trying to see how long each route would take me considering I only have 5 days in each place I stop.

I kindly ask for a more experienced traveler to toss some advice out there if you have sometime.

Thanks so much and I look forward to reading your responses! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6351 posts
    18 October 2022 at 15:22:24 #947886

Hi Joey17,

One option would be to take the TGV Lyria from Paris direct to Geneva. The journey takes about 3 hours. In Geneva, you can find train services to Zermatt. Travel time is about 4 hours. If you travel via Basel, the journey Paris – Basel is roughly 3 hours, and Basel – Zermatt about 3.5 hours depending on which connection you take. You can find more information about tickets and travel from France to Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france

From Zermatt to Lake Como, the most sensible route would be 1) Zermatt – Visp – Domodossola – Milan – Como or 2) Zermatt – Visp – Domodossola – Locarno – Como. Option 2 includes a scenic train ride on the Centovalli Railway between Domodossola and Locarno. You can find information about tickets and travel to Italy here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

You can check train schedules and choose the fastest connection on the SBB timetable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2022 at 21:44:32 #947887

I have been travelling to western Switzerland from Paris in various ways for 60 years, so I think I can give you the advice you ask for.

The ‘most scenic’ way from Paris to Zermatt would be the old traditional railway routes, but as these take more than 1 day, these will be almost certainly not be helpful to you on this occasion.

Therefore the ‘fastest’ way by TGV high speed trains will in this instance be the only practical option, therefore I will tell you which route will give you the most ‘scenic’ views. All France – Switzerland services are operated by TGV Lyria joint venture. The first thing to say is that, when a TGV is running at full speed on the dedicated high speed line, the ‘scenery’ goes past the window rather too fast for that journey to be called ‘scenic’. However on the TGV routes to Switzerland, the TGVs on all three possible routes do some parts of the journey on slower traditional tracks, with scenic views.

Therefore I will list the facets of each route for you here:

There are three practical routes Paris – Zermatt (all finish with the ride from Visp to Zermatt on the MGB narrow gauge railway:

Times: Paris – Geneva takes just over 3 hours, Geneva – Lausanne takes about 30 – 40 minutes, Lausanne Visp takes about 1 hour 40 , Visp – Zermatt takes just over 1 hour

1) Paris – Macon – Geneva TGV; Geneva – Visp direct CFF (SBB) IR train

High speed track Paris – Macon, traditional slower track Macon – Bourg en Bresse across the Bresse farmland famous for its chickens; Bourg en Bresse – Bellegarde – Geneva through the Jura mountains – very scenic; Geneva – Visp scenic Lake Geneva, mountain and Rhone valley views

2) Paris – Dijon – Lausanne TGV; Lausanne – Visp on the Geneva – Visp direct IR train

High speed track Paris – Aisy (a small Burgundy village north of Dijon); ‘classic’ route Aisy – Dijon (scenic hilly route); classic route Dijon – Dole (flat land), Dole – Vallorbe (Traverse of the high Jura mountains – scenic); Vallorbe – Lausanne (descent from the Jura – spectacular distant view (weather dependant) of the whole Alpine mountain chain; Lausanne – Visp views as per (1) above

3) Paris – Dijon – Basel TGV; Basel – Visp IC train

Not recommended, a longer way round than 1 and 2, less scenic route overall

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2022 at 22:06:18 #947888

Zermatt – Lake Como

There are three practical routes:

1) Zermatt – Brig – Domodossola – Locarno (Centovalli) – Lugano – Como

2) Zermatt – Visp – Andermatt – Goeschenen – Lugano – Como

3) Zermatt – Brig – Milano – Como

I don’t recommend (3) as you would have to go south and back north via the large and bustling MIlano Centrale station.

• The thread ‘Traveling from Paris to Zermatt & Zermatt to Como’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.