Traveling from Zurich to Lake Como in early May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2017 at 19:47:21 #811323

My husband and I are traveling from Zurich to Lake Como. We arrive from the States in the early afternoon on the 1st and want to arrive to Lake Como by late afternoon on the 2nd.

I know we can take a train from Zurich to the town of Como and then take a hydro to our final city on the lake, however we are curious as to where we should stay the night on the 1st.

My understanding is that May 1st is a holiday and there might not be a lot to see in Zurich on that day. We also wouldn’t mind staying the night an Alpine city since we won’t be spending much time in Switzerland. Ideally, I think we would travel on the 1st to a town, stay the night and then on the 2nd continue on our trip down to Italy (Especially so we can enjoy the views in daylight). Unfortunately it appears that we won’t be able to do the Gotthard Panoramic Express since it appears to just be on weekends in May. We also don’t really need to do the boat tour across Lake Luzern since we will be doing another boat trip across Lake Como the same day.

Any recommendations on towns to stay the night on the 1st and a good train route?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 April 2017 at 14:56:12 #861151

Hi nokirkburke, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

I’d advise to spend the night in Lucerne and do some local sightseeing if time allows: myswissalps.com/lucern e. It’s an atmospheric town with quite some nearby sightseeing options, and they’ll be available on May 1 too. Next day you can travel south over the Gotthard pass. It doesn’t matter that the Gotthard Panorama Express won’t be running. You can travel the exact same route from Flüelen to Bellinzona using normal trains: myswissalps.com/gottha rdpanoramaexpress. Just mind to enter via-stations such as Göschenen when looking for this route in the timetable: myswissalps.com/timeta ble. Otherwise the timetable might suggest the quicker route that runs through the tunnel.

The first section to Flüelen can either by done by train or by boat. I don’t know Lake Como so I can’t compare it to Lake Lucerne, but I personally think the boat ride south to Flüelen is very scenic: myswissalps.com/boatla kelucerne.

• The thread ‘Traveling from Zurich to Lake Como in early May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.