When/where to buy Swiss Travel Pass & reservations

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Sparkyenos
Sparkyenos
42 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 2:25 PM

I will try to be organized with my questions----------have many questions but will only ask a few at a time.

1. I am planning on buying the Swiss Travel Pass --1st class for 8 days. I understand they are sold about 6 months before our departure. Does it matter what website I purchase this pass-------notice there are a few places you can do this?

2. Once I purchase this 1st class Swiss Travel Pass how do I go about reserving a 1st class seat on the Glacier Express, Bernini Express, & the Golden Pass Train?

3. Do I need a seat reservation for the Gornergrat Cog Railway (Matterhorn) out of Zermatt since I will have my Swiss Travel Pass?

4. My next train ride will be from Zermatt--Visp--Lausanne-----------how do I get a first class seat on these trains?

Thanks

Arno
Arno
14100 posts
expert &
Oct 13, 2019 - 5:13 PM

Hi Sparkyenos,

I found another question of you in a separate thread:

"Another question to add to my previous ones:
5. On my trip from Zurich to St. Moritz by way of Chur-----------again how do I get a 1 st class seat if I already have my 1st Class Swiss Travel Pass"

You can simply post here in your original thread. No need for a new one, it's much easier to read if your questions are in one place. Thanks!

Last modified on Oct 13, 2019 - 5:14 PM by Arno
Arno
Arno
14100 posts
expert &
Oct 13, 2019 - 5:20 PM

Hi again :-)

1. All retailers listed here are credible: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. So you can pick any you feel comfortable with. I would recommend to pick one who sends the pass via e-mail. Most do so. Reading this may also be informative: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/wheretobuy.

2. Reservations are completely separate, so it does not matter if you buy them before or after you buy the Swiss Travel Pass. You'll find details here:

3. No, you don't need reservations, please see www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat/tickets.

4. & 5. Just board, find a seat, and enjoy the ride :-) Please find details here:

Sparkyenos
Sparkyenos
42 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 5:54 PM in reply to Arno

THANKS

Annika
Annika
6100 posts
expert &
Oct 14, 2019 - 5:51 PM

Hi Sparkyenos,

I noticed you created yet a new thread with questions closely related to the ones in this thread. I'll paste it here:

Questions
1. We will be traveling by train from Zermatt--Visp---Lausanne. We have a Swiss Travel Pass. How do I get a first class seat on this train using my pass?
2. If we decide to do any extra train trips----------such as to Basil or Bern---------do we get any ticket discount even though we have used our Swiss Day Pass for other trips?

Please continue any questions related to your itinerary and the use of the Swiss Travel Pass in this thread, rather than opening new ones. Arno also asked you to keep related questions within one thread. I'll remove your other thread and provide and answer here. Thanks for your understanding :-)!

Last modified on Oct 14, 2019 - 5:57 PM by Annika
Annika
Annika
6100 posts
expert &
Oct 14, 2019 - 5:57 PM

1. If you have a 2nd class Swiss Travel pass, you need an upgrade ticket for rides in 1st class. Please refer to the explanation at www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass. Mind that you don't have to book a seat for this journey. Seat reservation is only required for a few special panoramic trains. See Arno's reply under #4 and 5.

2. I'm not sure if I understand your question. Are you referring to the Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) or the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass)? With both passes, you can enjoy unlimited free traveling during their validity dates. So adding extra trips on those days is no problem at all. Trips on non-covered days will not be discounted. Details are at www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse and www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/howtouse.

Last modified on Oct 14, 2019 - 5:58 PM by Annika

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019