Switzerland transport options mid-late October

• Nathan
    Participant
    5 posts
    8 May 2019 at 14:25:24 #821529

My fiance and I are wanting to plan a trip to Switzerland from October 12 – 21/22. We are thinking of flying in to Zurich and taking the train straight to Zermatt for two days, then stay in Wengen or Murren for 4-5 days to explore the Jungfrau region and while staying there also take the train to Interlaken for a daytrip and maybe train to Fribourg for another daytrip. Then we’ll end our trip in Lucerne or Zurich (or a city close to one of them) for the last 2-3 days.

I had a couple questions about the trip:

1) I’ve read that during this time of year some cogwheels/transportation close as well as shops and restaurants. I imagine it won’t be an issue for Interlaken, Fribourg, Lucerne, and Zurich. But for our Zermatt and Jungfrau part of the trip how big of a deal will this be? Will it prevent us from enjoying what those areas have to offer? We certainly want to hike and go to some areas off the beaten path. However, neither of us are pro or experienced hikers so we do not plan to do anything crazy or extremely intensive. I’m wanting to go to these areas first so it will be the Oct 12 – 18 portion of our trip.

2) Is there a website that provides updates on when certain modes of transportation begin closing?

3) We are planning to get the Swiss Travel Pass. Based upon the areas we want to visit, does this make sense? From looking at the travel pass map it seems like most of the places we want to go are covered by the pass. Seems like some areas in the Jungfrau region are not, but we get a discount with the Swiss Travel Pass. Is that correct?

Thanks for any guidance on our trip!

• The thread ‘Switzerland transport options mid-late October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.