Where to stay to visit Val Bavona in the Ticino

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2019 at 20:41:43 #821966

Hi team,

I want see the small village of Val Bavona however my nearest stay are Thun and Brig due to which one day trip with the help of swiss travel pass is not possible. Have checked, will hardly get some hrs to spend.

If I cancel my stay at Brig, which city should I consider for my stay, which will have good connectivity to Val Bavona and other parts of Switzerland ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2019 at 20:51:28 #913898

Or alternatively any other village which is similar to this one and is easily accessible by local transport ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:18:48 #913899

The problem is that remoteness = less accessible. Therefore you are posing a rather impossible question since one can never have truly remote valleys that are easily accessible by public transport.

My favourite remote valley is the Ferrera, which contains the highest permanently inhabited village in Switzerland (Juf). My wife and I love it as the Juf area is famous for lots of Marmots.

However this is not near Brig / Thun either. But it is accessible from Chur

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 3:21:48 #913900

Hey..Thank you 1960man. Yes you have point. Will explore Ticino more to check the possibility of day trip. May be will shift my base from Brig to some suitable town in Ticino

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 13:44:50 #913901

Hello Pravin S,

To support finding details about travelling times from possible bases to visit Val Bavona, use our timetable.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Maybe you could find an appartement as a base close by, a hotel might be a little harder. If I ask google I can see Bignasco and Cavergno as relatively close places with some rentals available.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti cino/rentals

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 22:36:08 #913902

Simply base yourself in Locarno, then you are at the hub of local public transport. Direct bus from Locarno to Val Bavona. Also not far away – if you are a James Bond or Pierce Brosnan fan – you have the Contra dam in the next door Val Verzasca. Other easy trips from Locarno are to the Bellinzona castles and the Centovalli railway.

Also, in Locarno, you are still ‘very close’ to the rest of Switzerland via inter city rail routes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2019 at 6:14:50 #913903

Thanks Steph for all the info 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2019 at 6:16:17 #913904

Yes 1960oman I am planning to book AIrbnb at Locarno only 🙂 Thanks for other inputs.

• The thread ‘Where to stay to visit Val Bavona in the Ticino’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.