Traveling from Lauterbrunnen up to Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2018 at 15:00:28 #819079

Hi,

Me and my wife will be based in Lauterbrunnen for a couple of days.

Is it possible to book a train via SBB from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg then from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujouch?

Or must I book from this link?

shop.switzerlandtravel centre.com/#/en/produc t/excu rsionJungfrau

If book from this link… the options are:

Wengen – Wengen

Wengen – Grindelwald

Grindelwald – Grindelwald

Grindelwald – Wengen

Does this mean we have to travel from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen or Grindelwald depending on the option we choose?

or will it be easier for us to travel straight from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg then from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujouch?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 December 2018 at 18:09:25 #899818

Hi Keeptouch,

Once you’re sure of your travel date you can buy your tickets at Lauterbrunnen station or various websites (listed on http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/packages). You will always travel via Wengen as that’s the only route from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch, however you don’t get off the train there (unless you want to). The reason they are offering tickets from Wengen is that many people have a Swiss Travel Pass, which includes free traveling to Wengen. So only a ticket from Wengen onward is needed in such a case. If you don’t have a Swiss Travel Pass you buy a ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch return. You’ll still travel via Wengen.

You can also travel back via Grindelwald for more variety. I’d recommend that unless you’ll see that route another time anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2018 at 15:12:25 #899819

Hi,

if i buy for example from wengen… do i board the train at lauterbrunnen or interlaken? Or wengen? This is the confusing part…

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 December 2018 at 15:24:20 #899820

Hi Keeptouch,

Tickets and where you board are two different things. If you stay in Lauterbrunnen then that’s where you board the train, regardless of your type of ticket or pass. In my previous example people with the Swiss Travel Pass already have part of the journey included for free, so they only need a ticket for the rest of the journey. That does not make a difference for where they board the train.

If you have further questions then please let us know if you have a train pass, and which one. That helps to answer you more precisely.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2018 at 23:50:39 #899821

I’ll try and simplify:

This map is a good clear map of how the Jungfrau railways are laid out:

goo.gl/images/iDdYM5

Put simply, if you are staying in Lauterbrunnen and you just want to go to Jungfraujoch, you buy a ticket Lauterbrunnen – Jungfraujoch. The direct route will be Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch

As you can see from the map, the BOB (Berner Oberland Bahn – blue and yellow trains) and WAB (Wengernalpbahn – green and yellow trains) are laid out in a circle, so for a bit of variety you can return from Jungfraujoch to Lauterbrunnen via Grindelwald and Zweilütschinen to Lauterbrunnen (this is what Arno was referring to in his first reply)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2018 at 8:22:33 #899822

At the risk of “too many answers” you only need a ticket from Wengen with the Swiss Travel Pass regardless of the fact you are boarding a train in Lauterbrunnen. This is because the Swiss Travel Pass is your ticket to Wengen as it covers that portion 100%.

From Wengen The Swiss Travel Pass only covers 25% of the ticket cost – hence why you need to buy an actual ticket for the rest of the trip to Jungfraujoch. Simply show your Swiss Travel Pass at the Lauterbrunnen station and they will charge you the appropriate price for your trip.

• The thread ‘Traveling from Lauterbrunnen up to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.