Swiss rail pass coverage for family with 3 kids

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 0:13:31 #814663

Hi –

We are traveling for 6 days in July with three kids ages 11, 13, and 15. We are traveling from Domodossola in Italy to Grimmelwald, Grimmelwald to Lucerne and Lucerne to Zurich airport the last day. My questions.

1. I believe the Swiss Travel Pass will be the best value because the kids can travel free. Is my 15 yr old free? I have read ‘up to 15’ so does that include 15 yr olds? I need a Swiss Family card that I request when I book the travel passes and that is free correct?

2. Is the travel from Domodossola free with the pass or 50%? I believe I read it is covered, but when I look at the map it has a dotted line which may mean just 50%. Please verify. Would the kids be free even if we are 50%?

3. The trip up and down Mt Pilatus? I have read the ‘mountain train’ to Pilatus is free with the travel pass. Is that the cog rail? How about the cable car in the other direction? And again, if we have to pay 50%, are the kids free of do they need to pay anything? And if they do, what would that be?

4. In Interlaken, we would like to leave luggage and go light up to Grimmelwald. Is that a manned baggage place or lockers? Would a locker fit a wheelie carry on bag?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Laurie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 3:17:08 #878024

Hello Laurie,

Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)? The Swiss Family Card is also available with the Swiss Half-fare Card. Which is best depends on your itinerary and how many trains, boats, cable cars etc you use. The official line is that you need to do the sums to work out which is best but if you are comfortable the price of the Swiss Travel Pass it is super convenient.

To answer you questions:

1. Yes, your 15 year-old is OK up to 16th birthday. Yes you need to order the Swiss Family Card when you order your SwissTravel Passes.

2. Domodossola to Grindelwald (I assume you mean Grindelwald and not Gimmelwald which is just a speck on the map between Mürren and Stechelberg) is free. The red dashed line I think you are referring to indicates a tunnel. Red dotted lines indicate trains where only a discount applies. By the way you can avoid the tunnel and follow the a longer but more scenic route if you go via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

3. Pilatus was free in 2017 but is only 50% discount in 2018. This includes both the cable car from Kriens to Pilatus Kulm (the peak) as well as cog-wheel Pilatus Kulm to Alpnachstad.

4. There is a baggage office at Interlaken Ost manned Mon–Sun 07:00 – 18:30.

Have a great trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 8:20:38 #878025

Hi Laurie,

Be careful on town names as Grimmelwald doesn’t exist but as Rockoyster notes, Gimmelwald is a town and so is Grindelwald. We don’t want to give you incorrect answers. 🙂

Your children will always be free on the Swiss Family Card even when you must pay for a ticket with your Swiss Travel Pass (Pilatus & others).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 4:14:00 #878026

Thank you both for the insights. I’ll be using your calculator to determine if the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss-Half card is better. A few more questions:

1 – The kids are still free even if we use the Swiss-Half card right? Lake Lucerne?

2 – Do we still get the same 50% off Pilatus with the Swiss-Half?

3. Would you recommend going to Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch? Or both? They look like they are on opposite each other. We will be going through Lauterbrunnen and could do both. We are staying in Gimmelwald 🙂 and hiking around. Jungfraujoch is 25% off with each card? Schilthorn is free with STP and 50% with half card?

4. How far in advance should we order these cards?

I’m getting very excited for the trip!!!!

Laurie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 March 2018 at 4:33:11 #878027

Hi Laurie,

Gimmelwald. Well I’ll be blessed. It really is a tiny village. Definitely away from the madding crowd.

1. Yes and yes as long as you have a Swiss Family Card.

2. Yes.

3. With STP Jungfraujoch is 25% discount from Wengen. With SHFC it is 50% off from Lauterbrunnen. Jungfraujoch is quite an expensive trip whichever way you look at it. Schilthorn is indeed free with STP and 50% with SHFC.

4. It is best to order on line and print at home. On-line delivery is pretty much immediate. There is no rush to buy they don’t sell out and specials are rare. But having said that see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/100-off-swiss-travel-pass-other-passestickets.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 March 2018 at 5:47:20 #878028

Hi Laurie,

I have seen Gimmelwald described thus on this forum “Gimmelwald is not a village, it is a gondola stop with two hostels there and nothing else” by the author of this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim. I guess the accommodation is great value.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 6:02:14 #878029

>> Gimmelwald. Well I’ll be blessed. It really is a tiny village. Definitely away from the madding crowd.

Rick Steves has a lot to answer for! I imagine 99% of people who stay at Gimmelwald do so on his recommendation.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 March 2018 at 20:57:18 #878030

Oh Lordy, does he always carry on like this http://www.ricksteves.com/wat ch-read-listen/read/articles/g immelwald-the-swiss-alps-in-your-lap/?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 0:16:41 #878031

😀 The king of purple prose!

His travel guides aren’t quite so gushing thank goodness!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass coverage for family with 3 kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.