Travelling by car from UK to Bern

• Meera2300
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 May 2021 at 20:01:40 #825829

Hi, I wonder if someone has recent experiences travelling from UK to Switzerland by own car. I would need some help and tips as what process to follow for UK registered car? Bern city is my second home to live and I would like to carry some household stuffs. I do have Swiss permit for 5 years. I am aware, I have to take Vignette car stickers before my journey. What about car insurance, I want stay in Swiss, less than 180days do I need register my car locally as it is right hand drive car.

Also, while driving from UK to Bern where I should hold for a night ? driving for 10 to 11 hours journey is tiring, do i need to have second driver?

What is the current Covid rules and restrictions?

If anyone has been there recently, then please share your experiences driving through own car..

Many thanks in advance.

MK

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    7 May 2021 at 9:41:41 #934997

Hi MK,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you are only using your UK registered car in Switzerland for less than 6 months, there is no requirement to get it registered locally. Do check with your car insurance provider if it covers Europe, just in case. And you do need the motorway vignette. Information about where to get the vignette here: http://www.myswissalps.com/motorwayvignette

My family and I have travelled by car from Switzerland to the UK a couple of times and while it’s possible to drive 10 hours straight, I think it ‘s a good idea to break the journey and spend the night somewhere along the route. During the most recent trip to England (a few years ago actually), we spent the night in Arras, which is about an hour from Calais. On the way back, we took the ferry from Portsmouth and drove back via Normandy (which is a longer route).

Under normal conditions, driving across borders is fairly easy. But most countries now have Covid restrictions in place so it’s best to check with each of the countries you’ll be travelling through. As you do have a Swiss residence permit, driving into Switzerland will not be a problem. But do take note that you might have to go into quarantine if you travel via certain regions in France or Germany which are currently on the high-risk list. You can find more updates about the Coronavirus restrictions and how they affect travel in Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

Hope this info was helpful.

Best regards,

Anna

Meera2300
    Participant
    2 posts
    13 May 2021 at 21:49:08 #934998

Thank you so much.very helpful information.

Kind Regards

MK

clarksm67
    Participant
    16 posts
    14 May 2021 at 0:45:37 #934999

What hotel did you stay at in Arras? Good/Bad

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 May 2021 at 7:25:52 #935000

Hi clarksm67,

We stayed in a B&B, can’t remember the name now. Sorry. But I think we made the reservation through Booking dot com.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Travelling by car from UK to Bern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.