Travelling by train to Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2011 at 9:52:27 #804813

Hi, I have a choice of travelling by train to Grindelwald from either Zurich or Geneva airports. I will have a Bernese Oberland rail pass valid for either the outward or return journey. Please can you let me know which rail journey you would recommend and why.
    Regards

Martin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    28 December 2011 at 15:21:04 #834582

Hello Martin,
    I can think of 4 possibilities and you can check all of them through the Swiss Timetable:
    1. Direct route Zürich – Bern – Interlaken – Grindelwald. It takes about 3 hours. The Alps will be visible after leaving Bern.
    2. Route Zürich – Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken – Grindelwald. This one takes about 4 hours. After leaving Luzern the views are beautiful and you will take the Brünig Pass (Altitude about 1000 m.)
    3. Direct route Geneva – Bern – Interlaken – Grindelwald. About 3 3/4 hours. (See 2.)
    4. Route Geneva – Brig – (Kandersteg) – Spiez – Interlaken – Grindelwald. This one will take you about 5 1/2 hours!
    If your time of arrival is early enough I would suggest option 4. Your journey will take you through the valley of the river Rhône and especially after Brig it’s very beautiful in my opinion. Consider to take the old route (tunnel) via Goppenstein and Kandersteg. The winding rail track between Kandersteg and Frutigen is a favourite!
    Whatever your choice will be: travelling by train through Switzerland will be a special experience!
    Enjoy your stay.

Update: I forgot another route:

5. Geneva – Montreux. From Montreux with the Golden Pass Line (a panoramic train – reservation required!) to Zweisimmen and from there to Spiez and Interlaken. This route is indeed very beautiful too! Check the above mentioned Swiss Timetable.

• The thread ‘Travelling by train to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.