Travelling from Zurich to Schilthorn (Piz Gloria)

• Lsaleh77
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 November 2018 at 15:51:51 #818989

Hello,

I am planning to travel to Zurich with my wife on the 1st of December to spend some days and then travel to Prague. We are very interested to travel to Schilthorn to visit Piz Gloria around the 5th or 6th of December, but we are very confused on how to do that. I understood that I have to take a lot of transportation including cable cars; which might be not in service during that period.

The other option I thought of was to travel to Murren on the 4th of December and stay for two nights since it will be nearer a little bit to Piz Gloria, but I am still confused how I can go from there. Then if we do that, I believe it takes more than 16 hours to travel from Murren to Prague by train.

Can anyone please advise what the best and easiest options are?

Best regards,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2018 at 19:42:58 #899323

Hi Lsaleh77 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can read details on how to get to Schilthorn our page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere (the description starts at Interlaken which is a main train station in the area for connections).

To get exact connection details from Zurich you can simply enter your date and timing in the online timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You can also use the timetable to see your journey from Mürren to Prague. The quickest route is about 13 hours from Mürren (anywhere in Switzerland to Prague is going to be around that as well).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2018 at 0:20:55 #899324

Schilthorn is closed until 7 December (pre ski season break)…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2018 at 7:07:15 #899325

Oh thanks for the reminder 1960man!! Too many mountain closures to remember sometimes. 🙂

Lsaleh77 – when picking a mountain to visit, our pages all note any operating closures on

the “route” tab.

IE for Schilthorn: http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere (closed until Dec. 7). 🙁
    You can still go to Mürren if so interested.

Lsaleh77
    Participant
    2 posts
    22 November 2018 at 8:03:14 #899326

Thanks a lot Lucas and 196oman.

I can shift the plan a little bit and travel to Interlaken from Zurich on the 7th of December so that we can visit Piz Gloria on the 8th; when it is opened again. (:-))

I have another question here. I believe I can safely do the train booking and all the transportation from Zurich to interlaken and from Interlaken to Schilthorn when I arrive to Zurich and not necessarily before I travel from my home country. Right?

Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2018 at 9:24:34 #899327

Yes you can buy tickets in Switzerland “as you go”. You may want to look at a rail pass to save you some money on your trips, something like the Swiss Half Fare Card might work out for you. It will totally depend on your daily itinerary though.

Have a look at the following pages for details on the SHFC and how to choose the best rail pass (if any).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2018 at 0:20:38 #899328

Yes, you can book once you are settled in Zurich. Both Zürich Flughafen (airport) and Zürich HB main station have efficient travel centres.

Your booking is likely to be split between the national network element (Zürich HB – Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Mürren) and the mountain railway element (Mürren – Schilthorn)

• The thread ‘Travelling from Zurich to Schilthorn (Piz Gloria)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.