Travelling from Malaysia: rail passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2016 at 3:23:34 #809563

Hi, I’ll be travelling with my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 youth below the age of 25)

I’m having a slight confusion on which rail pass to purchase. I was thinking of a Swiss Half Fare Pass. But does it covers the cruise, trip to Wengen and trip to Meringen and also the tram rides in Basel?

As listed below would be my itenary.

Day 1:

Interlaken OST – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg

Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen

Wengen – Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken

Day 2:

Lake Brienz Cruise 1/2 day

Interlaken – Meringen

Meringen – Interlaken

Day 3:

Interlaken – Basel

So would it be wise to get a Swiss Half Fare Pass?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 June 2016 at 5:47:10 #853615

Hi YL, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Swiss Half Fare Cards will definitely save you money. Another option is the 3-day Swiss Travel Pass. Both of these cover boats, trains and trams. All of those are free with the Swiss Travel Pass and 50% discounted with the Swiss Half Fare Card. Trips into the mountains are discounted by 50% in both cases, with the exception of Jungfraujoch: that trip is 50% off with the Swiss Half Fare Card and partly free/partly 25% off with the Swiss Travel Pass. All details are here:

Regarding day 2: the boat will take you from Interlaken to Brienz. There is no need to return to Interlaken if you want to go to Meiringen. You can take a train from Brienz straight to Meiringen. That will save you a lot of time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2016 at 6:34:56 #853616

Hi, thanks for the reply!

How do I use the Swiss Half Fare Pass? Do I just show it to the ticket master while purchasing tickets? Or is there a certain number I can key in while buying through a machine?

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2016 at 7:31:52 #853617

Hi YL,

Did you read the “How to use” section of the second link?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2016 at 8:46:31 #853618

Yes yes, my sincere apologies

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2016 at 9:10:01 #853619

No problem! Feel free to let us know if any questions remain.

• The thread ‘Travelling from Malaysia: rail passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.