Travelling from Montreux to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 18:18:26 #812238

Hi fantastic team

i know this has been covered in various posts but i am still confused which to travel from Montreux to Zermatt on the 27th june looking at the SBB website it states

10.11 train direction Brig arrives in Zermatt at 12.51 there is a change at Visp onto the R 231Direction Zermatt

i have a interrail pass Could you please confirm whether this route is free as it doesn’t state it is the glacier express on the timetable and therefore do i have to make reservations.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 19:22:36 #865021

Hi Twiggy,

You can find a PDF map of the routes covered by the Swiss Interrail pass here (zoom in to see Switzerland).

The route to Zermatt via Martigny and Visp is noted on the map so no worries there.

All trains to Zermatt (after Visp) go on the same route but you aren’t necessarily on the Glacier Express train. You only need reservations if you are changing on to the Glacier Express train at Visp for the last leg to Zermatt. The R 231 is a regional train with no reservations needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 20:45:55 #865022

Thanks Lucas

Yep both trains are IR 1813 to Visp and then the R231 to Zermatt so as these are both regional trains no reservation is needed am i right.

Just out of curiosity how are the Glacier Express train noted on the SBB website as i want to avoid paying reservation fee if possible as it currently states CHF33 per person.

Many thanks for your valuable help once again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 5:39:57 #865023

The Swiss Timetable will list the Glacier Express as GEX as opposed to IR, R, IC etc.

Cheers!

• The thread ‘Travelling from Montreux to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.