Travelling from Montreux to Zermatt

Travelling from Montreux to Zermatt

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Jun 12, 2017 - 6:18 PM

Hi fantastic team

i know this has been covered in various posts but i am still confused which to travel from Montreux to Zermatt on the 27th june looking at the SBB website it states

10.11 train direction Brig arrives in Zermatt at 12.51 there is a change at Visp onto the R 231Direction Zermatt

i have a interrail pass Could you please confirm whether this route is free as it doesn't state it is the glacier express on the timetable and therefore do i have to make reservations.

Lucas
Lucas
3365 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2017 - 7:22 PM in reply to twiggy321

Hi Twiggy,

You can find a PDF map of the routes covered by the Swiss Interrail pass here (zoom in to see Switzerland).

The route to Zermatt via Martigny and Visp is noted on the map so no worries there.

All trains to Zermatt (after Visp) go on the same route but you aren't necessarily on the Glacier Express train. You only need reservations if you are changing on to the Glacier Express train at Visp for the last leg to Zermatt. The R 231 is a regional train with no reservations needed.

Last modified on Jun 13, 2017 - 5:27 AM by Lucas
twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Jun 12, 2017 - 8:45 PM

Thanks Lucas

Yep both trains are IR 1813 to Visp and then the R231 to Zermatt so as these are both regional trains no reservation is needed am i right.

Just out of curiosity how are the Glacier Express train noted on the SBB website as i want to avoid paying reservation fee if possible as it currently states CHF33 per person.

Many thanks for your valuable help once again.

Lucas
Lucas
3365 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2017 - 5:39 AM in reply to twiggy321

The Swiss Timetable will list the Glacier Express as GEX as opposed to IR, R, IC etc.

Cheers!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017