Travelling to Grindelwald from Zurich airport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2020 at 19:44:19 #824782

Hi!!! My name is Fer I am from chicago IL and I am going to be traveling to Grindelwald Tuesday March 3 rd. Im actually arriving to the airport in Zurich and I am taking the train from there to Grindelwald. I have never been there and Ive googled some information about how to arrive there but I have found different information and I am confused so I would like to talk to someone who actually knows. I am going to be only 1 full day in Grindelwald March th 4th 2020 and i go back to Zurich the 5th in the afteroon. What are the MUST in Grindelwald in such a short time?

Can I take the train from the airport to Grindelwald? How many hrs is it? Is it easy to get an uber from the train station to my airbnb? Whats the most popular place for skiing (for beginners) How big is Grindelwald? I mean is it easy to move around in bus? or do I need to take taxi/uber?

Im so sorry for all my annoying questions, I hope someone can help, Happy New Year!!! and THANK YOU!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 January 2020 at 20:32:06 #927283

Hi Fer and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your idea to go to Grindelwald for one day, your only day in Switzerland, is great although a bit strange.. Will you be jetlagged?

if it’s a matter of skiing, may you know that the closest ski resort to Zurich is Hoch Ybrig.

Yes, you can go by train to Grindelwald from Zurich airport. You will have to change trains at Interlaken Ost, possibly also at Bern. There is a train at least once an hour. Buy your ticket straight to Grindelwald and back at the ZRH airport train station, right in the terminal building. 2nd class is fine enough.

The beginner skiing area is called Bodmi.

I don’t think Uber is available there, but there are taxis, as well as several local bus lines.

If I were you I’d just go to Buddy Guy’s for a nice jazz evening right in Chicago, or go skiing in Quebec, but I hope you’ll enjoy Grindelwald!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2020 at 21:31:31 #927284

OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the quick reply!!! I am going first to Paris, Zurich, Grindelwald and Madrid. I hope my jetlag is not as bad lol I am actually arriving In Zurich the 3rd and im going to Grindelwald from the airport and I will be back in Zurich for 1 night the 5th in the afternoon and I am leaving on the 6th to Madrid after 12. I know its kind of a lot but I dont have a lot of time off from work so I wanted to make the best of it. I am dreaming to see the mountains there so thats why I chose Grindelwald even for 1 day.. I hope its worth it!! Thank you again for the information 🙂 Ill let you know how it goes!!

Anna
    6355 posts
    3 January 2020 at 7:37:41 #927285

Hi Fercostescu,

As Snow man pointed out, you can travel to Grindelwald by train. Please use the SBB timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable) to search for train schedules and connections. The timetable is also available as an app (SBB mobile) which you can download from this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

For more information about Grindelwald, do check out this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwald

Hope that helps! Happy new year and regards.

Anna

• The thread ‘Travelling to Grindelwald from Zurich airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.