Travelling to Locarno in October

• Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    12 April 2020 at 6:52:24 #825498

For friends of mine I have a couple of questions:

They are planning a week in Locarno in October, and they have never been in Switzerland before. So now they would like to know what they can do in October, what are the best and nicest things to do?

Which cableways and/or funiculars will be open?

Do you expect it to be safe to travel in October?

On behalf of my friends: thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2020 at 18:48:14 #932039

Hello Olga!
    Your friends can start to have a look about what to do and see in Locarno on the following links:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/locarno
    http://www.myswissalps.com/locarno/activities

The funicular to reach the sacred mountain of Madonna del Sasso is open all year round (though we recommend to take it only on the way back down to Locarno): http://www.myswissalps.com/madonnadelsasso/gettingthere
    Another nice day excursion departing from Locarno by funicular is the mountain top of Cardada-Cimetta. The funicular will still be open in October: http://www.myswissalps.com/cardada/gettingthere

Weather in Locarno is usually still quite mild and pleasant in October, though mornings and evenings are chilly. Hopefully it should be safe to travel to Switzerland by then but no one can tell at this very moment unfortunately. We will be posting updates about the current situation on the forum so you can keep en eye on it: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

Hopefully your friends will be able to travel to beautiful Locarno.

Stay safe!
    Sara

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    12 April 2020 at 20:48:45 #932040

Hi Olga

No one knows if it will be safe to travel in October.

This website has a number of excellent suggestions for activities. Our favorite was a very moderate hike from Cardada to Cimetta and continuing on to Cima della Trosa. We also enjoyed exploring the old town area of Ascona adjacent to Locarno. For dinner one night go by funicular to Orselina for a beautiful view of Locarno and the lake. Villa Orselina has a nice restaurant with stunning views.

Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 April 2020 at 22:12:14 #932041

Hi Olga-

Do your friends have any special interests? It is always useful to get some ideas about what they particularly enjoy or do not enjoy.

Hiking, photography, museums, gourmet restaurants, wine, architecture, lake boat rides, trains, ……
    http://www.myswissalps.com/activities

And, what they don’t like or have limits on.

Your thoughts?

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    13 April 2020 at 1:01:44 #932042

Hello Olga,

<< Which cableways and/or funiculars will be open? >> Mark has already stated that “nobody knows if it will be safe to travel in October”. That is still six months off but we just don’t know at this point in time. That said, since you have asked about cableways and/or funiculars, I will mention one that I like in particular. This is the funicular that runs from Paradiso, at the southern end of the city of Lugano up to the top of Monte San Salvatore. Do your friends have internet ? If so, suggest that they look at the following Roundshot video camera up on the top of San Salvatore. sansalvatore.roundshot.com/ It is dark right now, but they are showing the panorama as of 8 PM on Sunday. I think I would prefer just to see what it looks like at 3 AM Monday, but this way you do see the view. Yes, this is Lugano, not Locarno, but it doesn’t take that long to get from one city to the other. How many days are your friends planning to spend in the Ticino ?

If you were to reply to Slowpoke’s question about your friends’ interests, that would make it easier to offer suggestions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    14 April 2020 at 9:02:31 #932043

Thank you Sara and others for the useful answers. My friends are having problems with the internet, but I will gather the answers given and print them for them. At least it will give them something to start with, great!

If they have more questions I will know my way to this forum…

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 April 2020 at 1:59:25 #932044

Hello again,

Just wondering if your friends’ internet problems have been resolved. If so, they might want to watch this video about the Madonna del Sasso: youtu.be/30qh8aHWBeI. Just keep in mind that unless they are birds, the views will be a bit less spectacular, as this video was partially made using a drone.

Here is another video about the entire area: youtu.be/slrel2538fo It has great HD cinema quality with informative footnotes. The music gets a bit irritating (repetitive and not Italian-sounding at all) but all you have to do is turn the volume way down low. Alternatively, turn the volume right off and listen to some Rondo Veneziano, like this one: youtu.be/hh5ytES7Kko

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    25 April 2020 at 8:26:59 #932045

Thank you for your trouble Peterli – I don’t know about their internet right now, but I will save your post!

• The thread ‘Travelling to Locarno in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.